Manitoba 4 at Stockton 1
The Manitoba Moose (7-4-1-1) began the second half of their California road swing against the Stockton Heat (7-4-0-1) on Wednesday night. The Moose came out of the gate with some early jump, holding the early edge in shots. The hosts turned the tables in the frame, building momentum off a power play opportunity. The Heat opened the scoring 13:42 into the frame when Rod Pelley's point shot found its way through a crowd in front of Eric Comrie and to the back of the net. The tally stood up as the only marker in the frame as Stockton took a 1-0 lead to the break.
The second period saw the Moose get back on level footing with the Heat. Before the tying goal, Eric Comrie made sure to keep the score within reach when he made an acrobatic save, shutting down a Stockton two-on-one opportunity. Moments after a Moose power play expired, Patrice Cormier tipped a Cameron Schilling shot to the back of the net at 6:54 of the period. The Manitoba penalty kill came up big again in the final three minutes of the period to push the game into the second intermission tied 1-1.
The third period opened with the Moose weathering an early flurry of chances from the Heat, but once the visitors emerged, they went on the attack. After applying furious pressure, but being turned away by Jon Gillies, Manitoba finally broke through 10:44 into the period. Jack Roslovic stole the puck, and sniped from the slot to give the Moose their first lead. Just 42 seconds later, Mike Sgarbossa created another turnover and tucked a shot up high for a 3-1 Manitoba advantage. The Heat nearly pulled back within one, but Comrie came up with a miraculous stop on an Emile Poirier wraparound try. With time ticking down, Nic Petan scored into an empty net to seal the 4-1 Moose win.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from November 9, 2017
- POW MEMORIAL CHAIR UNVEILING AND MILITARY NIGHT CEREMONY - Utica Comets
- Illinois Lottery Cup Competition Enters Seventh Season - Chicago Wolves
- Record Attendance of 13,422 Fans See Wild Roast Hogs 5-3 - Iowa Wild
- CANES ACTIVATE STEMPNIAK FROM IR; ASSIGN HIM TO - Charlotte Checkers
- 'CANES ASSIGN McKEOWN TO CHARLOTTE - Charlotte Checkers
- Penguins Beat Marlies in Clash of Conference's Best - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Checkers Overpower Comets - Utica Comets
- Checkers Trounce Comets 5-2 for Third Straight Win - Charlotte Checkers
- Amerks Weekly Schedule - Rochester Americans
- POSTGAME NOTES & QUOTES - San Diego Gulls
- Manitoba 4 at Stockton 1 - Manitoba Moose
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.