Illinois Lottery Cup Competition Enters Seventh Season
GLENVIEW, Ill. - The Chicago Wolves and the Rockford IceHogs are ready to battle for the Illinois Lottery Cup during the 2017-18 season.
For the seventh consecutive year, the Illinois Lottery is raising the stakes between the state's American Hockey League franchises. The team that earns the most wins during Chicago's and Rockford's 12 meetings this season will be presented with the Illinois Lottery Cup.
"There's always a heightened level of anticipation in the building when the Chicago Wolves and the Rockford IceHogs meet," said Wolves president Mike Gordon. "The Illinois Lottery Cup increases the excitement and we can't wait to resume this rivalry."
This season's Illinois Lottery Cup competition kicks off on Sunday, Nov. 19, at Rockford. The Wolves host their first Illinois Lottery Cup contest on Saturday, Nov. 25.
"We are thrilled to continue the Illinois Lottery Cup and our partnership with the Illinois Lottery," said Rockford director of business operations Mike Peck. "The rivalry between the Rockford IceHogs and the Chicago Wolves has developed into something special over the past 10 years in the American Hockey League and we look forward to another exciting season."
The Wolves own possession of the Cup after handling the IceHogs eight out of 12 times during the 2016-17 season, but history suggests this year's competition likely won't be decided until the teams' final regular-season meetings on April 13 at BMO Harris Center in Rockford and April 14 at Allstate Arena in Rosemont.
Since the Illinois Lottery Cup tradition began in 2011, the Wolves and IceHogs have split their 72 regular-season meetings while Chicago has outscored Rockford 211-197 in those contests. The Wolves captured the Illinois Lottery Cup title in 2015 and 2017 while Rockford earned the hardware in 2013, 2014 and 2016. In 2012, the Peoria Rivermen claimed the inaugural competition when there were three AHL teams in Illinois.
To purchase tickets for any Illinois Lottery Cup game, visit ticketmaster.com or call 1-800-745-3000.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from November 9, 2017
- POW MEMORIAL CHAIR UNVEILING AND MILITARY NIGHT CEREMONY - Utica Comets
- Illinois Lottery Cup Competition Enters Seventh Season - Chicago Wolves
- Record Attendance of 13,422 Fans See Wild Roast Hogs 5-3 - Iowa Wild
- CANES ACTIVATE STEMPNIAK FROM IR; ASSIGN HIM TO - Charlotte Checkers
- 'CANES ASSIGN McKEOWN TO CHARLOTTE - Charlotte Checkers
- Penguins Beat Marlies in Clash of Conference's Best - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Checkers Overpower Comets - Utica Comets
- Checkers Trounce Comets 5-2 for Third Straight Win - Charlotte Checkers
- Amerks Weekly Schedule - Rochester Americans
- POSTGAME NOTES & QUOTES - San Diego Gulls
- Manitoba 4 at Stockton 1 - Manitoba Moose
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.