Manchester Wolves Down Albany Conquest 50- 33
MANCHESTER, NH- The Manchester Wolves kept their arena football league2 playoff hopes alive on Friday night when they downed American Conference East Division rival Albany 50-33 in front of a home crowd of 6,540 at the Verizon Wireless Arena and improved their record to 6-7.
The Wolves defense was the story of the night as they disrupted Albany quarterback Dan Cole and took top wide receiver Antwun Williams, normally the big playmaker against Manchester every time these two teams tangle, out of the game. Cole was held to 21 completions of 41 attempts for 222 yards and four touchdowns while Williams, who scored a record-high seven touchdowns against the Wolves in their last meeting, caught just six passes for 89 yards and only one touchdown.
Both teams traded scores and turnovers through three quarters of sloppy play marred by fumbles, interceptions, and penalties and they entered the final stanza tied 27-27. On Manchester's first possession of the fourth quarter, quarterback James Pinkney drove the Wolves down the field and hit wide receiver Bradly Chavez, who earned both the Schutt Offensive Player of the Game and the JLS ironman of the Game honors, with a 23-yard scoring strike to take the 34-27 lead.
Cole then misfired on four straight incompletions on the ensuing series and the Wolves took over on downs with a first-and goal from the Conquest 5-yard line From that point, the game was essentially over when Pinkney and Emery Sammons connected on a two-yard play to put the Wolves up 41-27 with 5:46 left on the clock. Cole fumbled on the first play of the Conquest's next series at his own five-yard line and the Wolves recovered the ball in the end zone for the safety and went up 43-27.
After that, the teams traded touchdowns in a contest that had already been decided. Pinkney finished his night with 17 of 25 completions for 177 yards with four touchdowns but also served up two interceptions. Most of the af2 takes next weekend off and the Woplves have a bye, but then they will return to Brady Sullivan Field on Saturday, July 12th for a rematch with the Mahoning Valley Thunder, another division foe.
• Discuss this story on the arenafootball2 message board...
arenafootball2 Stories from July 1, 2008
- Former Yard Dawg, A.J. Haglund, Named AFL Kicker of the Year - Oklahoma City Yard Dawgz
- Bradly Chavez Named Arena Football League2 JLS Ironman of the Week - Manchester Wolves
- Manchester Wolves Down Albany Conquest 50- 33 - Manchester Wolves
- Davila, Vijil honored with Player of the Week Awards - Spokane Shock
- Thunder's Morgan af2 ADT Award Winner - af2
- Coyote Fest '08 Brings Excitement to the Valley - Central Valley Coyotes
- Florida Firecats Fall To Fourth in American Conference Playoff Standings - Florida Firecats
- Yard Dawgz Veteran Al Hunt Reaches 1,000 Career Points - Oklahoma City Yard Dawgz
- Dusters starting QB Julian Reese also makes plays on defense - Amarillo Venom
- Former Blizzard Quarterback Leads AFL's Rampage to Impressive 1st Round Win - Green Bay Blizzard
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.