Mammoth Doubles up Roughnecks
DENVER - The defense remained hot, the offense caught fire. The Colorado Mammoth doubled up the Calgary Roughnecks, 18-9, at Pepsi Center on Friday night to open up a 2.5-game lead over the arch-rivals for second place in the West Division.
Colorado's Eli McLaughlin scored two goals and two assists in the first eight-minutes, 37-seconds of the game to tie his single-season career-high for points. Then teammate Callum Crawford stole the show.
The 12-year veteran enjoyed the first sock trick (six goals) of his career to cap off the team's 303 Day celebration. He added three assists in the rout.
And, of course, there was the defense. The Mammoth held an opponent to single-digit goals for the fourth straight game. Goaltender Dillon Ward's 50-save night improved his save percentage to a League-leading .803. He stopped 16 shots in both the second and fourth quarters.
Defenseman Cam Holding scooped up a career-high 15 loose balls, more than double that of any other player. McLaughlin finished with a career-high seven points (4g, 3a), while Stephen Keogh had a five-point night (3g, 2a) in his Mammoth home debut. Brent Adams' two goals were the first he's scored at Pepsi Center. Defensemen Greg Downing and Creighton Reid scored in transition, and forward Jacob Ruest contributed with one goal and two assists.
Colorado has now won four of its last five to improve to a season-best two games above .500 (6-4). The Mammoth chased starter Christian Del Bianco from the net in the second quarter.
The team plays at West Division-leading Saskatchewan next Saturday (March 11) before a Sunday affair against the Vancouver Stealth the following night.
• Discuss this story on the National Lacrosse League message board...
National Lacrosse League Stories from March 4, 2017
- RUSH vs. STEALTH Game Notes - Saskatchewan Rush
- Knighthawks Stun Bandits in Overtime - Rochester Knighthawks
- Knighthawks and Bandits Meet for Brunch - Rochester Knighthawks
- Mammoth Doubles up Roughnecks - Colorado Mammoth
- Mammoth Double up Roughnecks - Calgary Roughnecks
- Knighthawks' Comeback Falls Short in Buffalo - Rochester Knighthawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Mammoth Stories
- Mammtoh Retiring Lacrosse Legend John Grant, Jr.'s No. 24 on March 24
- Five Straight Wins for the Colorado Mammoth
- Four Straight Wins for the Mammoth
- Mammoth Aiming for Fourth Consecutive Win on Military Appreciation Night
- the Mammoth Wins Colorado Pride Night 8-7