Mallards Steal Game 1, 4-2
Allen, Texas - The Allen Americans headed back to Texas to open up the second-round playoff series against Quad City Mallards. The game, the first one at the Allen Event Center in two weeks, saw the Americans fall to the Mallards 4-2. The Americans now trail the series 0-1.
Quad City jumped out to an early 1-0 lead when Justin Fox notched an unassisted goal at the 11:02 mark of the first frame. Allen headed into the intermission down a goal, but tied 8-8 in shots.
Quad City struck again to take a 2-0 lead at the 4:03 of the second period mark when Gergo Nagy netted the puck, assisted by Vladimir Nikiforov and Matt Boyd.
Allen got on the board when Bruce Graham found the back of net at the 7:28 mark, cutting into Quad City's lead, making it 2-1. The goal, his third of the post season, was assisted by Anthony Maiani and Jamie Schaafsma. Less than three minutes later, Anthony Maiani slid the puck past Mallard goalie, Thomas Heemskerk, on the power play to tie the game 2-2.
Before the end of the second period, the Mallards took a 3-2 lead when Thomas Frazee lit the lamp at the 13:24 mark of the frame, assisted by Jeff Lee. Allen headed into the second intermission trailing Quad City 3-2 and down 11-10 in shots.
Quad City secured the win in the third period when Jordan Mayer fired the puck past Americans goalie, Bryan Pitton, to give the Mallards a 4-2 lead at the 4:19 mark of the frame. The goal, his fourth of the post season, was assisted by Darren McMillan and Thomas Frazee.
With the loss, Allen now trails the series 0-1. The Americans will be back in action against the Mallards for game two on Sunday, April 20 th at 5:05 pm.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from April 18, 2014
- Sundogs Drop Game One in Semi-Finals to Cutthroats - Arizona Sundogs
- Denver Cutthroats Take Game One in Second Round - Denver Cutthroats
- Mallards Steal Game 1, 4-2 - Allen Americans
- Mallards Topple Allen 4-2 in Semi-Final Opener - Quad City Mallards
- Mallards Semi-Final Playoff Tickets on Sale Now - Quad City Mallards
- Mavericks' Henrik Odegaard and Eric Castonguay Called-Up by Chicago Wolves - Kansas City Mavericks
- Shots from the Point for April 18, 2014 (Playoff Edition) - CHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.