Mallards Fall to Mavericks But Clinch Playoff Berth
MOLINE, IL - Five different Missouri Mavericks scored and Shane Owen made 25 saves as the Mavericks claimed a 5-2 victory over the host Quad City Mallards in front of 5,802 fans Saturday night, though the Mallards did clinch a playoff berth despite suffering a second loss to Missouri in as many evenings. The fifth place Mallards (29-22-10, 68 points) locked up a postseason spot thanks to the Tulsa Oilers' win over the Wichita Thunder Saturday evening- a result that left the ninth place Thunder mathematically incapable of catching the Mallards in the Central Hockey League standings
Dave Pszenyczny gave the Mavericks a lead they would never relinquish by putting the puck into a gaping net to open the scoring at 5:19 of the first period. Tyler Currier doubled the margin from a sharp angle at 11:34 of the first. The Mallards rebounded when Vladimir Nikiforov streaked down the slot to cut the gap to 2-1 at 14:49 of the opening frame.
Just as they did in the first, the Mavericks would outscore the Mallards 2-1 in the second period. Henrik Odegaard's tip-in made it 3-1 just ninety seconds into the second. The Mavericks were shorthanded when Anders Franzon- who also had an assist- scored the fourth Missouri goal from point blank range at the 6:50 mark. With just 12.8 seconds left in the second, the Mallards battled back to within two goals with Gabriel Levesque's backhander from the slot.
Evan Vossen weaved into the Mallard goalmouth and backhanded the fifth Maverick goal in under the crossbar at 6:03 of the third period.
The Mallards, who have qualified for the playoffs for the second year in a row, will begin the best-of-seven opening round in early April on a date to be announced against an opponent yet to be determined.
The Mallards and Mavericks meet again tomorrow in Independence, Missouri. The Mallards next return home when they play their final regular season game on Sunday, March 30 at 4:05 p.m. against the Mavericks. March 30 is Fan Appreciation Day at the iWireless Center. Fans can bring their skates to the March 30 game and skate with the Mallards after that tilt. In addition, all fans in attendance will receive a coupon good for a free bag of popcorn at iWireless Center concession stands.
Tickets for the March 30 game can be purchased in person at the iWireless Center box office, online at ticketmaster.com, at Ticketmaster outlets or through Ticketmaster charge-by-phone toll free at 1-800-745-3000 . The ticket office is open weekdays from 10:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., on Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. and on game days from 10:00 a.m. until the start of the second period.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from March 22, 2014
- Boron Records First 30-Win Season In Career Helping Rush Clinch Home-Ice - Rapid City Rush
- Mallards Fall to Mavericks But Clinch Playoff Berth - Quad City Mallards
- Oilers Silence Thunder with Three-Goal Third Period - Tulsa Oilers
- Chill Fall to Allen 5-4 - St. Charles Chill
- Big Third Period Leads to 5-4 Win over St. Charles - Allen Americans
- CHL Suspends Tulsa's Kyle Bochek - CHL
- Americans Host St Charles on Military Appreciation Night in Allen - Allen Americans
- Two Four-Point Nights Power Rush Past Beast - Rapid City Rush
- Sundogs Drop Game against Cutthroats - Arizona Sundogs
- Denver Cutthroats Prevail in One Period - Denver Cutthroats
- Late Rally Falls Short as Oilers Stumble on Home Ice - Tulsa Oilers
- Thunder Powers Past Tulsa with 3-2 Win - Wichita Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Quad City Mallards Stories
- Mallards Clearance Sale this Week
- Motte, Osipov Head to AHL
- Mallards Rally to Win Finale
- Mallards Game Day
- Mallards Battle from Behind for 5-4 Shootout Victory over Wings