Mallards Face Division Rival for Last Regular Season Series
MADISON, Wis. - Last night the Madison Mallards (41-27) completed a sweep against the Battle Creek Bombers (22-46) after winning game two in dominant fashion, 13-0. Madison's explosive offense was guided by strong arms on the mound, helping the team claim their 41st win of the summer.
Today, the Mallards are traveling to Witter Field to compete against the Wisconsin Rapids Rafters (43-25) for one more series during the regular season. This is their sixth set against each other, the overall record meeting is 6-4, in favor of the Rafters. Three of the series have been sweeps, one for Madison and two for Wisconsin Rapids. The other two were series splits.
The Rafters currently sit in first place in the Great Lakes West Division overall standings, with the Mallards trailing by two games in second place. During the second half of the season, the Rafters jumped ahead to take first place and are four games ahead of the third place Mallards.
Since the Rafters are sitting in first for the second half with the regular season coming to a close, they have a chance to clinch a guaranteed first round playoff spot.
On the mound tonight is Eliot Turnquist (Madison College). The Wisconsin native is making his seventh appearance and sixth start of the summer. Across 21.2 innings pitched he has accomplished 26 strikeouts and allowed only seven walks. He holds a 3-1 record and an impressive 2.90 ERA. His last outing was during the Major League Dreams Showcase, where he picked up the win for the visiting team during game two.
First pitch for tonight's game is scheduled for 7:05 p.m. Game two tomorrow evening is also slated for a 7:05 p.m. start time. Hear every pitch of the 2019 Mallards' season live on The Zone, 96.7 FM and 1670 AM.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from August 8, 2019
- Dock Spiders Hold off Bombers in Fond Du Lac - Battle Creek Bombers
- Kingfish Whack Woodchucks 9-5 - Kenosha Kingfish
- Mallards Silenced 5-2 by Rafters - Madison Mallards
- Fourth-Year Vet Deals, MoonDogs Win Sixth Straight against Willmar on Thursday - Mankato MoonDogs
- Green Bay Takes Two of Three on Road - Green Bay Booyah
- Rafters Pick up Decisive Victory over Mallards - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Woodchucks Fall in First of Two-Game Series against Kenosha - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Growlers Swept in Home Doubleheader to Jackrabbits - Kalamazoo Growlers
- Pit Spitters Record Win Number 50 in Shutout Victory - Traverse City Pit Spitters
- Postseason Hopes Hang in the Balance After 4-2 Loss to Waterloo - Duluth Huskies
- Major League Dreams Showcase: Huskies Edition - Duluth Huskies
- Rafters Return Home for Divisional Series - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Bringing Baseball Back - Madison Mallards
- Mallards Face Division Rival for Last Regular Season Series - Madison Mallards
- Pit Spitters Roster Updated - Traverse City Pit Spitters
- Holgate's Walk-Off Blast Helps Power Loggers to Doubleheader Split vs. Duluth - La Crosse Loggers
- Express Bats Explode During Late Innings in 10-5 Victory - Eau Claire Express
- Rox Rally Late, Fall Just Short to Mankato - St. Cloud Rox
- Stingers Split with Honkers - Willmar Stingers
- Honkers Split Double-Header against Stingers - Rochester Honkers
- Playoffs Have to Wait After Loss to Kenosha - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Madison Mallards Stories
- Mallards Rally Falls Shy in Traverse City
- Mallards Compete against Traverse City for Great Lakes Championship
- Mallards Explosive Offense and Strong Pitching Eliminates Rafters
- Mallards Put Rafters on Verge of Elimination
- Mallards Roll Rafters 9-2 to Open Playoffs