Mack Homers in First Inning, Hammerheads Win Third Straight
In the Jupiter Hammerheads' second at-bat on Friday night at Roger Dean Chevrolet Stadium, catcher Joe Mack lifted a fly ball 99 miles per hour off the bat, landing in left field as an opposite-field home run. Thanks to third baseman Yiddi Cappe's leadoff double, the big fly registered two runs, which would prove to be decisive as the Hammerheads prevailed 3-1 over the Fort Myers Mighty Mussels at Roger Dean Chevrolet Stadium.
Carlos Santiago gave Jupiter a three-run cushion on a run-inducing double play in the fourth. Javier Sanoja would score on the play from third base, after stretching from first to third on a Torin Montgomery single one at bat earlier.
The top three spot in the order hit a combined .400 on the evening, which included Cappe's leadoff double and Mack's homer. The catcher also drew a pair of walks on Friday, while Sanoja would also provide a 2-4 night, which included a first-inning double.
But it was pitching that the Hammerheads leaned on as they extended their win streak to three games this week over the Lee County club. Justin Fall improved to 6-5 on the year, with the southpaw going five innings and striking out four batters while allowing no runs. The 17th Round MLB Draft pick in 2021 successfully stranded the bases in the fifth inning, preserving his decision. Yeuris Jimenez tossed a pair of shutout frames out of the bullpen, before giving way to Dale Stanavich, who surrendered a seventh-inning run but nothing else in one and 1/2 innings. Caleb Wurster earned his ninth save of the year while recording just one out, a strikeout to retire the Mighty Mussels in the ninth.
The Hammerheads donned special throwback jerseys from 1998, as a nod to the team's 25th anniversary. Fans attending the Throwback Night game could purchase tickets for the 1998 price of $5!
Jupiter will look to clinch the six-game series on Saturday night. It will be Kids Club Saturday at the park, and the Hammerheads will wear specialty jerseys from Children's Art Classes! First pitch is slated for 6:30 PM!
• Discuss this story on the Florida State League message board...
Florida State League Stories from August 12, 2022
- Mussels Drop Third Straight 3-1 to Hammerheads - Fort Myers Mighty Mussels
- Mets Score 4 in the 9th, Rally Past Threshers 11-8 - St. Lucie Mets
- Bats Back Linarez' Gem in Friday Night Victory - Bradenton Marauders
- Mack Homers in First Inning, Hammerheads Win Third Straight - Jupiter Hammerheads
- Tortugas and Flying Tigers Suspended on Friday - Daytona Tortugas
- Jonathan India Bobblehead, Military Appreciation, Specialty Jerseys on Tap for Final Six of 'Tugas Two-Week Homestand - Daytona Tortugas
- Flores' Walk-Off Hit in 11th Lifts Threshers Past Mets, 6-5 - Clearwater Threshers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.