Luba to Join Red Stars for Remainder of Season
CHICAGO- Chicago Red Stars Reserves standout and Marquette graduate Mary Luba has been signed to the full Red Stars team for the rest of the 2015 National Women's Soccer League (NWSL) season.
Luba, a 22-year-old midfielder from Shorewood, Wisconsin, was a part of the Red Stars Reserves team that won the Women's Premier Soccer League national championship in July of this year. The midfielder played a huge role in the victory, having a hand in four out of the five goals that the Reserves scored against SoCal FC. Not only did Luba open the scoring in the 18th minute of play, but she also assisted on the game-winning goal.
When speaking of the signing, Head Coach Rory Dames had nothing but praise for Luba. "We are so excited to add Mary to our final roster. She performed for us during the World Cup, helped lead our amateur team to the WPSL title, and as demonstrated her qualities in training all year," said Dames.
This is the midfielder's first professional signing, and it comes at a fortuitous time as she will be joining the Red Stars in their first NWSL playoff run. The Red Stars have one remaining home game, which will be played at Toyota Park at 4:00 pm CT on Sunday, September 6th. Pending the outcome of this weekend's games, there is also a chance that the team will host a semifinal match at Toyota Park on Sunday, September 13th at 1:30 pm CT.
• Discuss this story on the National Women's Soccer League message board...
National Women's Soccer League Stories from September 2, 2015
- Sam Kerr Scores Brace in 3-2 Defeat to FC Kansas City - Sky Blue FC
- FC Kansas City Ends Regular Season with Six-Game Unbeaten Streak, Defeats Sky Blue FC 3-2 - FC Kansas City
- Luba to Join Red Stars for Remainder of Season - Chicago Red Stars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chicago Red Stars Stories
- Chicago Extends New Contracts to Seven; Exercise Options on Ten
- Sam Kerr Named to NWSL Best XI, Julie Ertz to 2nd XI
- Ellis Names Four Red Stars to 2018 CONCACAF Women's Championship
- Chicago Falls to North Carolina 2-0 in NWSL Semifinals
- North Carolina Hosts Chicago in Portland for 2018 NWSL Semifinals