Lowery, Ray Homer in Grizzlies Loss
SAUGET, Ill. - Luke Lowery blasted his team-leading eighth home run of the season and Anthony Ray chipped in with his first big fly since 2016, but the Gateway Grizzlies lost 6-2 to the Southern Illinois Miners at GCS Credit Union Ballpark.
Gateway (31-42) dropped its fourth straight.
Lowery collected his third home run in the Grizzlies' last five games and took over the outright team lead. He and Dustin Woodcock had been tied with seven dingers apiece. Lowery's homer Wednesday went out to right-center field - more than 380 feet to Lowery's opposite field - in the ninth.
Ray's long ball came in the sixth inning. He had not homered since 2016, when he was a State College (Pa.) Spike in the St. Louis Cardinals' minor-league system. The round-tripper was the third of his career in 302 games.
Southern Illinois (41-33) won its seventh game in a row.
Reign Letkeman (3-3) took the loss. He allowed six runs (five earned) over four-plus innings.
Jason Seever, Dakota Smith, Patrick Boyle, Grant Black, and Geoff Bramblett combined to throw five scoreless innings and allow only three hits out of the Grizzlies' bullpen.
Brent Sakurai had the Grizzlies' first multi-hit game of the series with a pair of singles in a 2-for-4 performance. It was his team-leading 21st multi-hit outing of 2019.
Gateway and Southern Illinois will finish their four-game series Thursday at 7:05 p.m. CDT. Dominic Topoozian (5-4, 3.27) is the Grizzlies' slated starter.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from August 7, 2019
- Thunderbolts Take Pair of One-Run Losses at River City - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Miners Top Grizzlies for Seventh Straight Win - Southern Illinois Miners
- Lowery, Ray Homer in Grizzlies Loss - Gateway Grizzlies
- Boomers Suffer Fifth Straight Defeat - Schaumburg Boomers
- Austin Tosses Eight Strong, Wild Things Fall in One-Run Game - Washington Wild Things
- Evansville Outlasts Crushers to Win Opening Game - Lake Erie Crushers
- Miners Stay Hot, Sweep Doubleheader at Gateway - Southern Illinois Miners
- Cullen's Homer Pushes Evansville to Victory - Evansville Otters
- Grizzlies Swept in Doubleheader - Gateway Grizzlies