Louisville City Will Open Its USL Championship Schedule on April 11
Louisville City Football Club proudly announced the date and opponent for its 2020 home opener at its new home, Lynn Family Stadium, Monday. The club will host Birmingham Legion on Saturday, April 11. The game will be nationally televised.
"The opening of Lynn Family Stadium will be an incredible moment in our history as a club and a soccer community," Louisville City Head Coach John Hackworth said. "We expect the fans to be at full voice and the atmosphere to be amazing that night."
With seating for 11,700 and a capacity reaching 14,000, Lynn Family Stadium will be a new showpiece for the city of Louisville when it opens for LouCity's USL Championship season. The most successful club in the modern USL era, Louisville City had played its games at Slugger Field, a AAA baseball stadium in downtown Louisville, from 2015 through 2019.
"Words can't express how excited we are to open our own stadium built specifically to host championship soccer," Louisville City President Brad Estes said. "In many ways, everything we have done as a club has been leading up to this point."
Season Ticket sales for Louisville City's 2020 season began in September, and the club announced a new record for total Season Ticket Members in November. With 11 sections already sold out for 2020, the club expects to welcome a capacity crowd on the opening night and beyond.
Louisville City's locker room opens into a premium club area on the West side of the stadium. Coach Hackworth and the players will walk through the club area and down into the stadium via a set of stairs made specifically for their entrance.
"I know I am going to get chills, goosebumps, as we enter the stadium for the first time that night," said Hackworth. "My priority that day will be to beat Birmingham, but, at the same time, I think everyone associated with the club will need to take a moment to breathe it all in because I think that moment is going to be magical."
Today's announcement of Louisville City's home opener on April 11 coincides with the USL Championship's announcement of all 35 home openers for the league's 10th anniversary season. The league will open with a pair of games on March 6 before LouCity takes on North Carolina FC on March 7 in North Carolina's home opener.
After LouCity travels for the first few weeks of the season as the finishing touches are installed at Lynn Family Stadium, the club will return for the home opener vs. Birmingham Legion, one of the top new clubs in the USL Championship last season.
"We'll be playing a playoff opponent from 2019 who has clearly made moves to improve their roster," said Hackworth. "They have already acquired some talented new players. They are a well-coached team and an organization that has high expectations. We expect Birmingham to be one of the top teams in the East this year so this will not be an easy game for our opener. We will need to be at our best."
The time of LouCity's April 11 home opener will be determined at a later date by ESPN's TV schedule. The club expects to announce more news on its 2020 schedule later this week.
A limited number of single-game tickets will go on sale for the home opener in February. The only way to guarantee seats for the home opener is to purchase season tickets by calling (502) LOU-CITY or securing your seats via the club's web site, LouCity.com.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from January 6, 2020
- Orange County SC Signs Midfielder Seth Casiple - Orange County SC
- Switchbacks FC Sign Goalkeeper Sean Melvin - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- 2020 Charlotte Independence Open Tryout Registration Open - Charlotte Independence
- 2020 Home Opener Announced - Hartford Athletic
- 2020 Home Opener Announced - Charlotte Independence
- USL Championship Announces 2020 Home Openers - Orange County SC
- Tacoma Defiance to Open 2020 Season at Home on March 6 - Tacoma Defiance
- Legion FC's 2020 Season Opener Set for March 15 at BBVA Field - Birmingham Legion FC
- Philadelphia Union II Announce 2020 Home Opener - Philadelphia Union II
- Rowdies Home Opener Set for March 21 - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- STLFC to Host Miami FC in 2020 Season Opener - Saint Louis FC
- 2020 Switchbacks FC Home Opener Revealed - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- Indy Eleven to Begin 2020 Home Slate April 4 vs. Lou City FC - Indy Eleven
- FC Tulsa to Open 2020 USL Championship Home Schedule against New Mexico United FC on March 14 - FC Tulsa
- 1868 FC Home Opener Set to be against OKC Energy - Reno 1868 FC
- Battery to Host Philadelphia Union II in Home Opener - Charleston Battery
- USL Championship Announces 2020 Home Openers - El Paso Locomotive FC
- Real Monarchs Set to Face Phoenix Rising FC in 2020 Home Opener - Real Monarchs SLC
- Louisville City Will Open Its USL Championship Schedule on April 11 - Louisville City FC
- Atlanta United 2 Announces 2020 Home Opener - Atlanta United 2
- Hounds to Host Louisville City FC in 2020 Home Opener - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Lights FC to Begin 2020 Season Battling San Diego and Sacramento - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Rising FC Opens 2020 Season on March 7 at Casino Arizona Field - Phoenix Rising FC
- San Antonio FC to Host Defending Champion Real Monarchs SLC in 2020 Season Opener - San Antonio FC
- North Carolina FC to Kick off 2020 Season at Home against Louisville City FC on March 7 - North Carolina FC
- Rio Grande Valley FC Reveals 2020 USL Championship Home Opener - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- USL Championship Announces 2020 Home Openers - Loudoun United
- USL Championship Announces 2020 Home Openers - USL
- San Antonio FC Signs Defender Connor Maloney - San Antonio FC
- Raleigh Native DJ Taylor Returning to NCFC for Fourth Straight Season - North Carolina FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.