LouCity Ushers in Next Chapter with Rebrand, New Logo
Months after opening Lynn Family Stadium, and with its multimillion-dollar training facility under construction, Louisville City FC ushered in the franchise's next chapter Tuesday when revealing its new crest.
The renowned Matthew Wolff Design firm, the team behind branding for organizations such as Los Angeles FC and New York City FC, commissioned a shield-shaped logo filled primarily by LouCity Purple and a trio of fleur de lis marks.
"We love everything about the LouCity story going back to Day 1," said club president Brad Estes. "This rebrand isn't about changing our identity. It's about the growth and evolution of our organization."
LouCity, which never failed to reach the USL Championship's Eastern Conference Final in each of its first six seasons, has won two league titles, hence the pair of stars remaining above the new crest.
The club is also now part of a larger Soccer Holdings, LLC, family that includes the National Women's Soccer League's Racing Louisville FC beginning play in 2021. Both teams will share Lynn Family Stadium as a home venue as well as the training facility opening next spring about two miles east at the aptly named Champions Park.
Matthew Wolff designed Racing's lavender and violet look, too. It likewise includes the fleur de lis, a stylized lily flower synonymous with Louisville. The LouCity and Racing brands will set beside one another in a number of settings, making it crucial that they act in accord.
"We will always pay homage to our original crest used for LouCity's first six seasons," said Mitch Ried, vice president of sales and marketing. "We also felt as our organization has grown from not only a USL club but also into a beautiful new stadium, youth academy and an NWSL franchise that we needed to accordingly update our brand.
"The goal for us was to create something simple, bold and timeless that works in harmony with Racing Louisville FC."
New-look LouCity merchandise is available at shop.loucity.com and at the Team Store open from 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Monday through Saturday at Lynn Family Stadium, 350 Adams Street, Season tickets are also on sale for the 2021 season at LouCity.com/tickets.
LouCity's technical staff and players were shown the new branding before its release, with head coach John Hackworth saying it went over quite well in the locker room.
"When the new logo was presented to our team, I think it's fair to say that we were all impressed with it," Hackworth said. "The amount of thought and detail that went into it was extraordinary. We are excited to wear it and represent our club with a tremendous amount of pride."
Images from this story
Louisville City FC logo
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from November 17, 2020
- Public Voting for Republic FC Kickstart Grants Supporting Latinx Businesses Now Open - Sacramento Republic FC
- Republic FC Begin Shaping 2021 Roster with Contract Options - Sacramento Republic FC
- USL Academy Team Adds New Layer to OC Pathway - Orange County SC
- FC Tulsa Signs Head Coach Michael Nsien to Multiyear Contract Extension - FC Tulsa
- LouCity Ushers in Next Chapter with Rebrand, New Logo - Louisville City FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Louisville City FC Stories
- LouCity Continues Rolling with Win over OKC Energy FC
- What to Watch for with LouCity vs. OKC Energy FC.
- Super Sub Gonzalez Sparks LouCity in Another Win at SKC II
- What to Watch for with LouCity at Sporting KC II
- Late-Night LouCity Picks up a Point in Colorado Springs