Loons Beat Silverhawks; Cody White Promoted
Cody White won a pitchers' duel on Sunday afternoon. His eight innings of work helped the Great Lakes Loons salvage the final game of a four game series from the South Bend Silverhawks by a score of 2-1 in front of 5,181 fans at Dow Diamond.
At the end of the ballgame, Loons manager Lance Parrish announced that White was promoted by the Los Angeles Dodgers to their High-A team, the Inland Empire 66ers. In the month of June, White went 4-0 with a 0.72 ERA while striking out 19 batters in 25 innings of work.
White tied his season high with eight innings of work in his final start with the Loons. The southpaw only allowed four hits and struck out five Silverhawks. Thomas Melgarejo came on in relief to work a perfect ninth inning to earn his first save of the season, and the first of his professional career.
With the score tied in the seventh, Loons shortstop Francisco Lizarraga doubled down the right field line to open the inning. With two outs in the frame, first baseman David Sutherland grounded an RBI-single up the middle to give the Loons a lead they would never relinquish at 2-1.
The Loons pick up their first win of the second half of the 2007 season and improve their second half record to 1-3. The Silverhawks fell to 3-1.
The Loons hit the road for a four-game set with the Fort Wayne Wizards beginning Monday night. Game time is set for 7:00pm and is available in Mid-Michigan on 100.9 WYLZ or online at Loons.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from June 24, 2007
- Loons Beat Silverhawks; Cody White Promoted - Great Lakes Loons
- Longest Game of Season Ends in Loss for Snappers - Beloit Snappers
- Chiefs Blow Seven-Run Lead, Then Rally to Win 11-9 - Peoria Chiefs
- Cougars Lose Finale, Series in Iowa - Kane County Cougars
- Cegarra, Cribb Put Clamps on Kernels - Burlington Bees
- Late Longballs Lift Wizards Over Lugnuts - Lansing Lugnuts
- Diaz, Orta Carry Rattlers - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Over 9,000 Watch Whitecaps Blank Dragons, 4-0 - Dayton Dragons
- WhiteCaps Complete Sweep, Pick Up Sixth Straight Win - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Two-Out Runs Sink Swing - Quad Cities River Bandits
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.