Lights FC Rise in Added Time for a Thrilling 3-3 Draw against Phoenix
Las Vegas (NV) - Heart, determination and never giving up. That's what Lights FC showed on a hot and humid Saturday night at Cashman Field.
Phoenix Rising is the defending USL Regular Season champions and entered this game as the team with the best point tally in the Western Conference. They kicked off showing that dominance they're characterized for by taking the lead just five minutes into the first half courtesy of a strike from Rufat Dadashow.
Las Vegas had opportunities in the first half, out-shooting Rising FC 12 to 5. But none of those shots were on target.
The second half was a hard fought battle with back and forth actions between these squads, with the visiting side extending their lead courtesy of USL's top scorer Junior Flemmings, who in the 67th minute found the back of the net for the tenth time this season.
Lights FC got one back in the 80th minute with a Yamikani Chester header, this was the first goal for the Malawi National Team member since joining Las Vegas as a free agent in the offseason.
A penalty kick was called in favor of Phoenix in the 90th minute that USL Championship MVP Solomon Asante kicked to his right, Lights FC goalkeeper "Lalo" Delgado deflected the ball, but it still ended up going into the back of the net.
With this being the first time in the 2020 season that Lights FC's defense has allowed multiple goals at Cashman Field, it seemed like it was "Mission Impossible" to get a comeback in added time ... but never tell this team the odds, especially in Las Vegas.
An own-goal from A.J. Cochran in the fourth minute of added time put the Lights' within one score. And when a foul was called in favor of Las Vegas in the 99th minute, the equivalent of a soccer hail-mary happened with Junior Burgos taking a free kick from midfield. Ramon Martin Del Campo knocked it down with his head to Las Vegas native Blake Frischknecht, who hit the ball with his heel back to Martin Del Campo who completed an epic come-from-behind 3-3 draw against the best team in USL Championship's Western Conference.
Lights FC will close this three-game homestand on Tuesday, August 25 with a nationally broadcast match against Orange County SC at 7:30 p.m. The game will be aired live on TV by ESPN Deportes and streamed on ESPN+. Media can CLICK HERE to RSVP and cover the match in-person at Cashman Field.
0-1: 5' (PHX) Rufat Dadashov 0-2: 68' (PHX) Junior Flemmings 1-2: 80' (LV) Yamikani Chester 1-3: 90' (PHX) Solomon Asante 2-3: 90+6' (LV) A.J. Cochran - Own Goal 3-3: 90+9' (LV) Ramon Martin Del Campo
Images from this story
Las Vegas Lights FC celebrates a goal against Phoenix Rising
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from August 23, 2020
- Naglestad Fuels Late Surge as Hartford Draw 2-2 - Hartford Athletic
- Jacks Beaten by Miami FC at Riccardo Silva Stadium - Charlotte Independence
- Granitto's Late Goal Lifts Miami Past Independence - Miami FC
- OC Continue 2020 Unbeaten Run in Carson - Orange County SC
- Athletic Welcome Loudoun Back to Hartford for Third Time this Season - Hartford Athletic
- Charlotte Independence v Miami FC: Match Preview - Charlotte Independence
- Charlotte Independence Unveils Community Clinics as Part of Ã¢ÂÂOne Club, One Love' Campaign - Charlotte Independence
- Second half strikes from Skundrich and Iwasa secure come-from-behind victory - Sacramento Republic FC
- Austin Bold FC Hold off RGVFC Toros to Claim 2-3 Road Victory - Austin Bold FC
- Lights FC Rise in Added Time for a Thrilling 3-3 Draw against Phoenix - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Reno Delivers Dominant 3-1 Win over San Diego on the Road - Reno 1868 FC
- San Diego Loyal Loses at Home against Reno 1868 FC - San Diego Loyal
- FC Tulsa Suffers First Setback in 2020 with 2-0 Loss at San Antonio FC - FC Tulsa
- Rising Earns a Point on the Road against Las Vegas - Phoenix Rising FC
- San Antonio FC Stays Unbeaten After 2-0 Win over FC Tulsa - San Antonio FC
- Hounds Draw Saint Louis FC, 2-2 - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- LA Galaxy II Postgame Notes: LA Galaxy II 1, Orange County SC 2 - Saturday, August 22, 2020 - LA Galaxy II
- Real Monarchs Fall to New Mexico United 2-1 - Real Monarchs SLC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Las Vegas Lights FC Stories
- Lights FC Closes 2020 Season
- Late Equalizers Lifts Lights FC to Draw with LA Galaxy II
- Lights FC Heads to Southern California for Two-Match Road Trip
- 11-Year Major League Soccer Veteran MLS Cup Champion Quincy Amarikwa Signs with Lights FC
- Lights FC Crushes Orange County's Undefeated Record with 3-1 Win