Legends Complete Sweep with 6-3 Victory
(WHITAKER BANK BALLPARK, Lexington, Ky) The Lexington Legends came from behind for a 6-3 win over Greenville Sunday, completing a four-game sweep over the Drive.
Greenville jumped out to a 3-0 lead in the top of the first inning. Leadoff hitter Bryan Johns reached first on an error by third baseman Michael Antonio. Jose Vinicio singled, moving Johns to second, and after Mike Miller flied out, Boss Moanaroa walked, loading the bases. Aneury Tavarez' fly ball to deep left field was dropped by Terrance Gore for an error, and all three runners scored.
Lexington's Bubba Starling hit a solo homer in the bottom of the first to cut the lead to 3-1.
The Legends tied the game in the fifth. Humberto Arteaga and Starling singled, and after Antonio popped out, Jin-Ho Shin singled, loading the bases. Fred Ford's sacrifice fly brought home a run, and Gore's single scored Starling to even the game at 3-3.
The Legends moved in front in the bottom of sixth. Nic Cuckovich reached on an error by Vinicio, the shortstop. Raul Mondesi put down a sacrifice bunt along the third base line, and Cuckovich was able to advance to third when the base was left uncovered. He scored the go-ahead run on a wild pitch.
Mondesi's two run single in the eighth closed out the scoring. Mondesi has driven in 13 runs in his last 11 games.
Ali Williams (1-0) was the winning pitcher. He relieved starter Aroni Nina at the start of the fifth inning and retired all nine batters he faced, including the first seven on strikes. Clayton Schulz worked the final two innings and earned his first save.
Greenville reliever Austin Maddox (0-2) took the loss.
The Legends are off Monday, and will open a three-game series in Asheville Tuesday night. Game time is 7:05 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from April 21, 2013
- Hickory Sweeps Charleston - Charleston RiverDogs
- Intimidators, GreenJackets Split Doubleheader in Augusta - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Twin Bill Sweep Pushes Win Streak to 7 - Hickory Crawdads
- Legends Complete Sweep with 6-3 Victory - Lexington Legends
- Power Surge Lifts West Virginia over Suns in Series Finale - Hagerstown Suns
- Power Earn Split with 11-2 Victory - West Virginia Power
- Shorebirds Shutout Grasshoppers, 8-0 - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Rome Drops Third Straight to Asheville - Rome Braves
- Legends Complete Sweep with 6-3 Victory - Greenville Drive
- BlueClaws Bring Home Finale 5-3, Salvage Series Split - Lakewood BlueClaws
- WV Power Game Notes - West Virginia Power
- Game Notes: Kannapolis Intimidators at Augusta GreenJackets (April 21, 2013 - Doubleheader) - Kannapolis Intimidators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lexington Legends Stories
- Kentucky Coal Association Signs on as $.25 Hot Dog Sponsor
- Three Legends Players Named Royals Pitcher and Players of the Year
- Legends Join MiLB's "Copa De La Diversion" for 2019
- Lexington Legends Take Series Lead in SAL Championship Series
- Melendez Mashes Legends to Game Two Victory in SAL Championship Series