Late Goal Leads Bridgeport over Providence
Providence, RI - The Providence Bruins fell to the Bridgeport Sound Tigers Friday night 3-2 in the first game of their weekend home-and-home series. The P-Bruins got goals from Peter Cehlarik and Jordan Szwarz while Jordan Binnington made his 13th start of the season in net.
In a matter of minutes, Peter Cehlarik scored on the Tigers putting the Bruins up quickly 1-0. Ryan Fitzgerald was essential in the play, assisting with a centering feed behind the net to Cehlarik for his sixth goal this season. The two players stopped the Tigers in their tracks due to the quickness in time as well as the actual play, scoring just 2:08 into the period. Providence stayed ahead for the majority of time with numerous attacks on Bridgeport, but the Tigers used a power play to tie the game at 16:31. After battling the Bruins powerful defense, Bridgeport's, Steve Bernier, found an opportunity to score off a rebound Tanner Fritz leaving the period tied 1-1.
It was an eventful start to the second period for both teams, as they scored just 39 seconds apart. The Tigers came out with a goal from Kyle Burroughs at 4:19. However, that 2-1 lead lasted nearly seconds when the Bruin's Jordan Szwarz fired back with his fourteenth goal of the season. Christopher Gibson stopped a one-timer from Kenny Agostino, but could not control the rebound. Szwarz was there in the slot for the rebound, backhanding the shot in and making the score 2-2 into the second intermission.
What seemed to be an uneventful third period changed in the last two minutes with Bridgeport's Casey Bailey sneaking in a goal from the right wing corner, putting the Tigers in the lead with 2:04 remaining. Providence responded with several attempts to score, battling in the last minutes of the game with the goalie pulled. They were unable to get anything past Gibson as the Tiger's won 3-2.
Binnington stopped 25 of 28 shots while Gibson stopped 28 of 30. Providence was 0-3 on the power play and 2-3 on the penalty kill. These two teams will meet again tomorrow night in Bridgeport at 7pm for the second half of this home-and-home series.
- - - - - The Providence Bruins are the American Hockey League affiliate of the NHL's Boston Bruins, playing their home games at the Dunkin' Donuts Center in Providence, RI. Spanning more than 25 years, the Boston/Providence affiliation is one of the longest and most successful player development partnerships in professional hockey history.
For all the latest Providence Bruins news and updates visit ProvidenceBruins.com or follow the team on Facebook at facebook.com/providencebruins or Twitter at twitter.com/AHLBruins.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 14, 2018
- Laval Rocket 4, Hartford Wolf Pack 2 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Recap - Sound Tigers 3, Bruins 2 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Varone Nets 100th AHL Goal in Springfield Showdown - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Crunch Top Comets, 3-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- GAME RECAP: Checkers' Skid Continues in Loss to Marlies - Charlotte Checkers
- Late Goal Leads Bridgeport over Providence - Providence Bruins
- Comets Hot Streak Chilled by Crunch - Utica Comets
- MONSTERS GAME SUMMARY: Monsters Tripped up by Griffins, 4-2 - Cleveland Monsters
- Manitoba Moose Phillips Reassigned to Moose - Manitoba Moose
- Winnipeg Jets Release - Jets Recall Hutchinson; Place Lowry on IR - Manitoba Moose
- Reign Host Tucson Tonight on $2 Bud Light Night - Ontario Reign
- Nastasiuk and Esposito Head to Toledo - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Toews Undergoes Successful Surgery - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- CANES RECALL LUCAS WALLMARK FROM CHARLOTTE - Charlotte Checkers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.