Last Week around the Leagues
by Fran Stuchbury
April 9, 2019 - Major League Soccer (MLS)
Last week the Alliance of American Football League suspended operations, the XFL continued to add people to its front office, Major League Lacrosse revealed it will not operate the three of its teams in 2019 and Minor League Baseball began 2019 play. Highlights from this week come from the Indoor Football League, Major League Soccer, United Soccer League Championship, Pacific Coast League, Eastern League, International League, Texas League, American Hockey League, Quebec Major Junior Hockey League and the National Lacrosse League
Alliance of American Football
The Alliance of American Football suspended operations on Tuesday, effectively putting a sudden end to the league eight games into its 10-game season. Over 800 players, coaches, and front office staff lost their jobs; a sad day for everyone involved with the Alliance.
The XFL announced that Jordan Schlachter, most recently Chief Marketing Officer of the National Basketball Players Association and President of its marketing and revenue arm, THINK 450, has been named Chief Marketing and Commercial Officer. Also, Derek Throneburg, most recently Vice President of Customer Insight and Engagement for Pacers Sports & Entertainment, joins the league as Senior Vice President of Team Business Operations.
Canadian Football League
The Canadian Football League (CFL) announced that a one-round European player draft will take place on Thursday, April 11. CFL teams will be able to draft any of the 18 European players that participated in the CFL Combine presented by New Era in March.
Indoor Football League
After five standout games for the Nebraska Danger in 2019, Charles Walker is heading to the British Columbia Lions of the CFL. The former Oklahoma Sooner and Philadelphia Eagle made quick work of IFL offenses, tallying nine tackles, including a four-yard sack and 21/2 tackles for loss in the short span.
Green Bay Blizzard WR Keshaun Taylor came down with game-winning grab against the Quad City Steamwheelers with nine seconds remaining. Green Bay won the game 53-47.
NBA G League
NBA G League Most Valuable Player and Defensive Player of the Year Chris Boucher of Raptors 905 headlines the 2018-19 All-NBA G League Teams and the All-Defensive Team, which were announced along with the All-Rookie Team.
Former Coach of the Year in 2017 for the Raptors 905, Jerry Stackhouse was named the head coach at Vanderbilt.
National Basketball League Canada
Major League Soccer
Six goals in seven games for Los Angeles FC forward Carlos Vela. Golden boot leader.
United Soccer League Championship
The 200th goal of the 2019 season, courtesy of Swope Park Rangers midfielder Jerome Mbekeli
National Women's Soccer League
The National Women's Soccer League (NWSL) announced the official list of U.S. and Canadian Women's National Team allocated players for the 2019 season. A total of 31 players will be participating as allocated players in the upcoming season, 22 from U.S. Soccer and nine from the Canadian Soccer Association.
Pacific Coast League
Great diving stop and assist by Albuquerque Isotopes shortstop Peter Mooney
Eastern Baseball League
Double flip by Portland Sea Dogs mascot Slugger
Walk off bunt in the Toledo Mud Hens 4-3 11th inning victory over the Louisville Bats
Ever watch baseball from a lazy river? If not, go pay the Frisco RoughRiders a visit!
American Hockey League
Texas Stars forward Ty Dellandrea first career goal was a game winning penalty shot by the Rockford Ice Hogs
The Lehigh Valley Phantoms (36-30-4-3) set a franchise record with a 10-goal performance in a thrilling 10-6 victory over the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins (35-28-7-3).
The ECHL on Thursday its All-ECHL First and Second Teams for 2018-19 as determined in a vote of ECHL coaches, broadcasters, media relations directors and media, who were asked to select a goaltender, two defensemen and three forwards.
Quebec Major Junior Hockey League
The 50th Anniversary of the League was celebrated in a number of ways this season. The announcement of the Top 50 greatest QMJHL players was at the centre of our celebrations.
Drummondville Voltigeurs forward Gregor MacLeod jumps off the bench before scoring this beauty for the thanks to a little breakaway shake and bake in the QMJHL playoffs.
National Women's Hockey League
The NWHL expects to have teams in Montreal and Toronto next season.
Forward Garrett Billings with a sweet behind the back goal for San Diego Seals against the New England Black Wolves
Major League Lacrosse
Major League Lacrosse will not be operating the Ohio Machine, the Florida Launch or the Charlotte Hounds in 2019. After the construction on American Legion Memorial Stadium is complete, the Charlotte Hounds will return in 2021 under new ownership. Discussions are ongoing for expansion with new owners for teams for the 2020 season.
Did we miss anything newsworthy or downright fun? Have a nomination for next week's column? Contact us today and let us know.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from April 9, 2019
- D.C. United Draw 0-0 with Montreal at Audi Field - D.C. United
- Second Consecutive Clean Sheet on the Road - Montreal Impact
- Game Notes: Sounders FC at Colorado Rapids - April 10, 2019 - Seattle Sounders FC
- MLS Issues Disciplinary Committee Decisions - MLS
- Impact Kicks off GA Cup Saturday in Texas - Montreal Impact
- New York Red Bulls and Prudential Financial Sign 12 Players to Unified Team - New York Red Bulls
- LAFC Forward Carlos Vela Voted MLS Player of the Month Presented by Ea Sports - Los Angeles FC
- Los Angeles Football Club Forward Carlos Vela Voted MLS Player of the Month Presented by EA SPORTS - MLS
- MLS Announces Time Change for Quakes at NYCFC on September 14 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Kick-Off Time Change: New York City FC Home Match on Saturday, September 14 vs. San Jose Earthquakes Moved to 12:30 p.m. ET - New York City FC
- Sounders FC Signs Midfielder Danny Leyva as Homegrown Player - Seattle Sounders FC
- Minnesota United Announces Plans for Allianz Field Inaugural Home Opener - Minnesota United FC
- Mikey Ambrose to Miss 3-5 Weeks with Meniscus Injury - Atlanta United FC
- Minnesota United FC to Unveil Gem Allianz Field on Saturday - This Week in MLS - MLS
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this article are those of the writer(s), and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.