Last Week around the Leagues
by Fran Stuchbury
April 9, 2019 - American Hockey League (AHL)
Last week the Alliance of American Football League suspended operations, the XFL continued to add people to its front office, Major League Lacrosse revealed it will not operate the three of its teams in 2019 and Minor League Baseball began 2019 play. Highlights from this week come from the Indoor Football League, Major League Soccer, United Soccer League Championship, Pacific Coast League, Eastern League, International League, Texas League, American Hockey League, Quebec Major Junior Hockey League and the National Lacrosse League
Alliance of American Football
The Alliance of American Football suspended operations on Tuesday, effectively putting a sudden end to the league eight games into its 10-game season. Over 800 players, coaches, and front office staff lost their jobs; a sad day for everyone involved with the Alliance.
The XFL announced that Jordan Schlachter, most recently Chief Marketing Officer of the National Basketball Players Association and President of its marketing and revenue arm, THINK 450, has been named Chief Marketing and Commercial Officer. Also, Derek Throneburg, most recently Vice President of Customer Insight and Engagement for Pacers Sports & Entertainment, joins the league as Senior Vice President of Team Business Operations.
Canadian Football League
The Canadian Football League (CFL) announced that a one-round European player draft will take place on Thursday, April 11. CFL teams will be able to draft any of the 18 European players that participated in the CFL Combine presented by New Era in March.
Indoor Football League
After five standout games for the Nebraska Danger in 2019, Charles Walker is heading to the British Columbia Lions of the CFL. The former Oklahoma Sooner and Philadelphia Eagle made quick work of IFL offenses, tallying nine tackles, including a four-yard sack and 21/2 tackles for loss in the short span.
Green Bay Blizzard WR Keshaun Taylor came down with game-winning grab against the Quad City Steamwheelers with nine seconds remaining. Green Bay won the game 53-47.
NBA G League
NBA G League Most Valuable Player and Defensive Player of the Year Chris Boucher of Raptors 905 headlines the 2018-19 All-NBA G League Teams and the All-Defensive Team, which were announced along with the All-Rookie Team.
Former Coach of the Year in 2017 for the Raptors 905, Jerry Stackhouse was named the head coach at Vanderbilt.
National Basketball League Canada
Major League Soccer
Six goals in seven games for Los Angeles FC forward Carlos Vela. Golden boot leader.
United Soccer League Championship
The 200th goal of the 2019 season, courtesy of Swope Park Rangers midfielder Jerome Mbekeli
National Women's Soccer League
The National Women's Soccer League (NWSL) announced the official list of U.S. and Canadian Women's National Team allocated players for the 2019 season. A total of 31 players will be participating as allocated players in the upcoming season, 22 from U.S. Soccer and nine from the Canadian Soccer Association.
Pacific Coast League
Great diving stop and assist by Albuquerque Isotopes shortstop Peter Mooney
Eastern Baseball League
Double flip by Portland Sea Dogs mascot Slugger
Walk off bunt in the Toledo Mud Hens 4-3 11th inning victory over the Louisville Bats
Ever watch baseball from a lazy river? If not, go pay the Frisco RoughRiders a visit!
American Hockey League
Texas Stars forward Ty Dellandrea first career goal was a game winning penalty shot by the Rockford Ice Hogs
The Lehigh Valley Phantoms (36-30-4-3) set a franchise record with a 10-goal performance in a thrilling 10-6 victory over the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins (35-28-7-3).
The ECHL on Thursday its All-ECHL First and Second Teams for 2018-19 as determined in a vote of ECHL coaches, broadcasters, media relations directors and media, who were asked to select a goaltender, two defensemen and three forwards.
Quebec Major Junior Hockey League
The 50th Anniversary of the League was celebrated in a number of ways this season. The announcement of the Top 50 greatest QMJHL players was at the centre of our celebrations.
Drummondville Voltigeurs forward Gregor MacLeod jumps off the bench before scoring this beauty for the thanks to a little breakaway shake and bake in the QMJHL playoffs.
National Women's Hockey League
The NWHL expects to have teams in Montreal and Toronto next season.
Forward Garrett Billings with a sweet behind the back goal for San Diego Seals against the New England Black Wolves
Major League Lacrosse
Major League Lacrosse will not be operating the Ohio Machine, the Florida Launch or the Charlotte Hounds in 2019. After the construction on American Legion Memorial Stadium is complete, the Charlotte Hounds will return in 2021 under new ownership. Discussions are ongoing for expansion with new owners for teams for the 2020 season.
Did we miss anything newsworthy or downright fun? Have a nomination for next week's column? Contact us today and let us know.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 9, 2019
- Admirals Winning Streak Ends at 8 - Milwaukee Admirals
- Bunnaman Scores Overtime Winner at Hershey - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Bears Comeback Falls Short in OT - Hershey Bears
- Wolves Insider: Playoff Possibilities - Chicago Wolves
- Forward Travis Barron Reassigned to ECHL's Utah Grizzlies - Colorado Eagles
- Syracuse Crunch Weekly â?? April 9, 2019 - Syracuse Crunch
- Hogs to Host Local Filmmakers of Oscar-Nominated Documentary "Minding the Gap" - Rockford IceHogs
- Flames Sign Goaltender Artyom Zagidulin - Stockton Heat
- Cleveland Monsters and Columbus Blue Jackets Make Local 12-Year-Old Boy's Wish Come True - Cleveland Monsters
- Roadrunners Conclude Playoff Push this Weekend at Tucson Arena - Tucson Roadrunners
- P-Bruins Week in Review - Providence Bruins
- Griffins Conclude Regular Season with Three Games in Four Nights - Grand Rapids Griffins
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Rampage Announce Roster Moves - San Antonio Rampage
- Gruden Released from ATO to Complete Academic Year - Belleville Senators
- Amerks Agree to Terms with Justin Baudry on One-Year AHL Contract for 2019-20 Season - Rochester Americans
- Amerks Weekly - Week of April 8 - Rochester Americans
- Phantoms Power Play - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Flames Recall Goaltender Jon Gillies, Schneider Recalled to Stockton - Stockton Heat
- Weekly: Penguins Have Final Slate of Regular Season Games this Weekend - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Minnesota Wild Reassigns Donato, Greenway, Kunin to Iowa - Iowa Wild
- Comets Announce Roster Moves - Utica Comets
- Coyotes Assign Garland to Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Flames Recall Jon Gillies from Stockton - Stockton Heat
- Birks, Siebenaler, Lacroix & Hirano Join Penguins - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Blue Jackets Recall Defenseman Adam Clendening from Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Comets Announce Roster Moves - Utica Comets
- Moose Sign Kamerin Nault - Manitoba Moose
- Game Preview: Phantoms at Bears, 7 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Devils Sign Goaltender Logan Thompson to PTO - Binghamton Devils
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this article are those of the writer(s), and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.