Las Vegas' Dearica Hamby Named 2019 WNBA Sixth Woman of the Year
September 15, 2019 - Women's National Basketball Association (WNBA) News Release
NEW YORK - Las Vegas Aces forward Dearica Hamby has been named the 2019 WNBA Sixth Woman of the Year, the WNBA announced today. The five-year veteran has earned the award as the league's top reserve for the first time.
Hamby will receive her award today before the Aces host the Chicago Sky in the second round of the WNBA Playoffs. The single-elimination game will tip off at 5 p.m. ET on ESPN2 and follow a second-round game between the defending WNBA champion Seattle Storm and the Los Angeles Sparks on the network (3 p.m. ET).
The 25-year-old Hamby received 41 votes from a national panel of 43 sportswriters and broadcasters. Washington Mystics guard Aerial Powers received the other two votes.
To be eligible for the WNBA Sixth Woman of the Year Award, a player had to have come off the bench in more games than she started. Hamby saw action as a reserve in 25 of her 34 games this season.
Behind Hamby and All-Stars Liz Cambage, Kayla McBride and A'ja Wilson, Las Vegas earned the No. 4 seed in the WNBA Playoffs after not qualifying for the postseason in 2018.
Hamby, the No. 6 overall pick in the 2015 WNBA Draft, averaged career highs of 11.0 points, 7.6 rebounds, 1.9 assists and 0.97 steals in 24.8 minutes. She ranked 10th in the WNBA in rebounding and 17th in field goal percentage (48.8).
With five double-doubles off the bench, Hamby tied the WNBA record for the most by a reserve. DeWanna Bonner had five double-doubles as a reserve in 2009, when she won the first of her three consecutive WNBA Sixth Woman of the Year honors.
Hamby scored a career-high 27 points (on 11-of-14 shooting from the field) off the bench against the Dallas Wings on June 22. For the season, she averaged 9.8 points and 6.8 rebounds in 21.6 minutes in 25 games as a reserve and 14.2 points and 9.7 rebounds in 33.5 minutes in nine games as a starter.
In honor of being named the WNBA Sixth Woman of the Year, Hamby will receive $5,000 and a specially designed trophy by Tiffany & Co.
Below are the voting results for the 2019 WNBA Sixth Woman of the Year Award and a list of past recipients.
2019 WNBA SIXTH WOMAN OF THE YEAR VOTING RESULTS
Votes Player Team
41 Dearica Hamby Las Vegas Aces
2 Aerial Powers Washington Mystics
WNBA SIXTH WOMAN OF THE YEAR WINNERS
Year Player Team
2019 Dearica Hamby Las Vegas Aces
2018 Jonquel Jones Connecticut Sun
2017 Sugar Rodgers New York Liberty
2016 Jantel Lavender Los Angeles Sparks
2015 Allie Quigley Chicago Sky
2014 Allie Quigley Chicago Sky
2013 Riquna Williams Tulsa Shock
2012 Renee Montgomery Connecticut Sun
2011 DeWanna Bonner Phoenix Mercury
2010 DeWanna Bonner Phoenix Mercury
2009 DeWanna Bonner Phoenix Mercury
2008 Candice Wiggins Minnesota Lynx
2007 Plenette Pierson Detroit Shock
• Discuss this story on the Women's National Basketball Association message board...
Women's National Basketball Association Stories from September 15, 2019
- Hamby's Steal, 35-Footer Sends Aces to WNBA Semifinals With, 93-92, Win over Chicago - Las Vegas Aces
- Mystics to Face Aces in WNBA Semifinals - Washington Mystics
- Sparks Top Storm, Advance to Semifinals - Los Angeles Sparks
- WNBA Statement Regarding Travel to Game One of Semifinals - WNBA
- Los Angeles' Nneka Ogwumike Wins 2019 Kim Perrot Sportsmanship Award - WNBA
- Diggins-Smith and Ogunbowale to Participate in USA Basketball Training Ahead of FIBA AmeriCup - Dallas Wings
- USA Basketball Unveils Expanded Women's National Team Program - Minnesota Lynx
- Dearica Hamby Named 2019 WNBA Sixth Woman of the Year - Las Vegas Aces
- USA Basketball Women's National Team to Train in Miami - New York Liberty
- Las Vegas' Dearica Hamby Named 2019 WNBA Sixth Woman of the Year - WNBA
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.