LAFC Transfers Cristian Arango to Club de Fútbol Pachuca in Liga MX
February 1, 2023 - Major League Soccer (MLS) - Los Angeles FC News Release
The Los Angeles Football Club (LAFC) announced today that the Club has transferred forward Cristian "Chicho" Arango to Club de Fútbol Pachuca of Mexico's Liga MX.
"We knew coming out of a successful 2022, we would need to make a major move, and likely a difficult decision ahead of roster compliance," LAFC Co-President & General Manager John Thorrington said. "We evaluated all possibilities and this transfer provides the needed resources and flexibility to continue our ambition of winning trophies. Whenever possible, we work with the player, as we did in this case upon receiving Chicho's request. Chicho will forever remain an important part of LAFC, and we wish him and his family all the best in the next stage of his career at Pachuca."
Arango, 27, joined the Black & Gold on Aug. 2, 2021, from Colombia's Millonarios F.C. and made an immediate impact for the Club, earning the 2021 MLS Newcomer of the Year Award after registering 14 goals and two assists in his first 17 games. Famously known as "Chicho", Arango leaves LAFC as the third leading scorer in Club history (30 goals in 51 MLS regular season matches), trailing only Carlos Vela (79 goals in 139 appearances) and Diego Rossi (59 goals in 121 appearances).
"I am very grateful to everyone at LAFC," Arango said. "Thank you to all the fans and to the 3252 for all of the beautiful moments we were able to share, and for us to become champions together."
The Colombian international was named a finalist for the 2022 MLS MVP award after a sparkling season that saw him help LAFC to the Supporters' Shield and MLS Cup trophy as he cemented his legacy in L.A. by scoring the game-winning goal in the 93rdminute of the Western Conference Semifinal to defeat the Galaxy 3-2.
Arango's 30 goals in 51 career regular season matches from his debut on Aug. 8, 2021 through Oct. 9, 2022 ranks as the second-most goals scored in MLS over that time span behind only Nashville's Hany Mukhtar (32 goals in 47 games).
His breakout performance at LAFC helped him earn his first international call-up for Colombia in 2021, and he made his National Team debut in a 0-0 draw vs. Paraguay in World Cup Qualifying on Nov. 16, 2021. He earned his second international cap January 28 vs. the United States.
TRANSACTION: LAFC transfers forward Cristian Arango to Liga MX team C.F. Pachuca
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from February 1, 2023
- 'Caps draw 1-1 with D.C. United in first match of Coachella Valley Invitational - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- FC Cincinnati Defeat USF 3-0 in Preseason Friendly - FC Cincinnati
- Victor Fung Called up by Canadian U-17 National Team for Concacaf U-17 Championship - Inter Miami CF
- Ahead of FIFA Club World Cup Debut this Saturday, Sounders FC Reminds Fans How to Tune in and Support the Rave Green - Seattle Sounders FC
- Charlotte FC Earns a 3-2 Win over D.C. United at Coachella Invitational - Charlotte FC
- LAFC Transfers Cristian Arango to Club de Fútbol Pachuca in Liga MX - Los Angeles FC
- Austin FC Academy Midfielder Micah Burton Called up to U.S. U-17 Men's Youth National Team - Austin FC
- Four CF Montréal Academy Players Called up by Canada's U17 Team - Club de Foot Montreal
- Inter Miami CF Selects CHEQ as the Official Point of Sale & Social Gifting Partner for DRV PNK Stadium - Inter Miami CF
- MLS Season Pass Is Now Available Worldwide on the Apple TV App - MLS
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Los Angeles FC Stories
- Concacaf Champions League Trophy on the Line as LAFC Hosts Club León at BMO Stadium Sunday, June 4 at 6 PM
- Metro by T-Mobile Kicks off Multi-Year Sponsorship of LAFC as Official Wireless Partner
- LAFC to Take on Club León in the First Leg of the CONCACAF Champions League Final Tonight at 7 PM PT at Estadio León
- LAFC Travels to Face Club León in First Leg of the CONCACAF Champions League Final, Wednesday May 31
- LAFC Defeats San Jose 2-1 Thanks to Carlos Vela's Stoppage Time Goal