Victor Fung Called up by Canadian U-17 National Team for Concacaf U-17 Championship
February 1, 2023 - Major League Soccer (MLS) - Inter Miami CF News Release
Inter Miami CF Academy player Victor Fung has been called up by the Canadian U-17 national team for the upcoming Concacaf U-17 Championship. The tournament will be taking place in Guatemala from Feb. 11 to 26 and grant the top four teams qualification to the 2023 FIFA U-17 World Cup in Peru.
Canada has been placed in Group F alongside Barbados, Trinidad and Tobago and USA, from which three will advance to the Round of 16 knockout phase to be played from Feb. 18 to 19. Canada's schedule in the competition is as follows:
Saturday, Feb. 11 at 5 p.m. ET - Canada vs. Trinidad and Tobago
Monday, Feb. 13 at 5 p.m. ET - Barbados vs. Canada
Wednesday, Feb. 15 - USA vs. Canada
Fung, 15, was previously called to the Canadian U-17 national team in Dec. 2022 for the Copa México Naciones Sub-17 in Mexico. The competition which served as preparation for the Concacaf U-17 Championship saw Canada and Fung face Costa Rica and Mexico.
At club level, the defender was a member of the Inter Miami CF Academy U-15 squad that went on to become national champions in 2022, including scoring the opening goal in the 2-1 victory over Real Salt Lake in the MLS NEXT Cup U-15 final. That same season, Fung also helped the team win its MLS NEXT division in the regular season, reach the GA Cup Round of 16, and win its group at both MLS NEXT Flex and MLS NEXT Fest.
Fung is among a growing list of current and former Inter Miami CF Academy players to be called up to a national team, including: Noah Allen, Nicholas Almeida, Tyler Austin, Edison Azcona, Logan Batiste, Israel Boatwright, Benjamin Cremaschi, Bryan Destin, Justin Ellis, Tyler Hall, Santiago Morales, Adrián Rosario, David Ruiz and Felipe Valencia, among others.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from February 1, 2023
- 'Caps draw 1-1 with D.C. United in first match of Coachella Valley Invitational - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- FC Cincinnati Defeat USF 3-0 in Preseason Friendly - FC Cincinnati
- Victor Fung Called up by Canadian U-17 National Team for Concacaf U-17 Championship - Inter Miami CF
- Ahead of FIFA Club World Cup Debut this Saturday, Sounders FC Reminds Fans How to Tune in and Support the Rave Green - Seattle Sounders FC
- Charlotte FC Earns a 3-2 Win over D.C. United at Coachella Invitational - Charlotte FC
- LAFC Transfers Cristian Arango to Club de Fútbol Pachuca in Liga MX - Los Angeles FC
- Austin FC Academy Midfielder Micah Burton Called up to U.S. U-17 Men's Youth National Team - Austin FC
- Four CF Montréal Academy Players Called up by Canada's U17 Team - Club de Foot Montreal
- Inter Miami CF Selects CHEQ as the Official Point of Sale & Social Gifting Partner for DRV PNK Stadium - Inter Miami CF
- MLS Season Pass Is Now Available Worldwide on the Apple TV App - MLS
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.