LAFC Signs Two-Time Golden Boot Winner Bradley Wright-Phillips
The Los Angeles Football Club (LAFC) announced today the signing of forward Bradley Wright-Phillips. The 34-year-old striker joins LAFC after spending the past seven seasons with the New York Red Bulls.
"Bradley is one of the most prolific goalscorers in MLS history and the type of player that can be a difference-maker for us," said LAFC EVP & General Manager John Thorrington. "He brings invaluable experience to the group as a proven winner in our league, and we look forward to welcoming him and his family to the Club."
Wright-Phillips, a two-time MLS Golden Boot Winner, MLS Best XI selection and MLS All-Star, has tallied 108 goals in 195 regular season appearances in MLS. The 34-year-old forward has also appeared in at least one postseason match every year since joining the league in 2013.
Last season, Wright-Phillips notched two goals and four assists in 23 regular season games. He appeared in all four Concacaf Champions League matches, as well as the final 36 minutes of the 4-3 playoff loss against Philadelphia Union.
During the 2018 campaign, Wright-Phillips became the fastest player in league history to score 100 regular season goals and the first-ever player to register 20 or more goals in three different seasons. He finished the year with 20 goals and a career-high eight assists in 32 matches played.
He is one of five MLS players with multiple golden boot trophies after leading the league in goals in 2014 (27) and 2016 (24). His 0.66 goals per 90 is also the highest average of players with at least 80 goals in MLS history.
A product of the Manchester City academy, Wright-Phillips played in 32 contests for the Premier League side from 2004-06 before joining Southampton. While in England, Wright-Phillips also played for Plymouth Argyle, Charlton Athletic, and Brentford.
TRANSACTION: Los Angeles Football Club (LAFC) signs forward Bradley Wright-Phillips.
Full Name: Bradley Wright-Phillips
Weight: 155 lbs.
Birthplace: London, England
Last Club: New York Red Bulls
Citizenship: United Kingdom
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from February 14, 2020
- Whitecaps FC Sign Midfielder Damiano Pecile to Homegrown Contract - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Sporting KC Acquires Defender Winston Reid - Sporting Kansas City
- Minnesota United Sign Defender Jose Aja - Minnesota United FC
- LAFC Signs Two-Time Golden Boot Winner Bradley Wright-Phillips - Los Angeles FC
- Philadelphia Union Foundation Announce Legends of Soccer Benefit - Philadelphia Union
- Timbers Statement on the Passing of Jimmy Conway - Portland Timbers
- Earthquakes Announce Date Change for Road Match vs. LAFC - San Jose Earthquakes
- Pepsi Post-Game Performance by Ally Brooke on February 29th - Orlando City SC
- PepsiCo Beverages North America Partners with Exploria Stadium as Official Non-Alcoholic Pouring Partner - Orlando City SC
- 2020 Preseason: Position Preview: Defender - Colorado Rapids
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Los Angeles FC Stories
- LAFC and the 3252 Independent Supporters Union Team up Once Again to Ensure Inclusive Environment for All Fans
- LAFC Hosts Leon in Leg Two of Concacaf Champions League Round Two
- LAFC Acquires No. 1 Spot in Allocation Ranking from Nashville SC
- LAFC Announces Complete Season Ticket Sellout for 2020 Season
- LAFC Back for Season 3