Minnesota United Sign Defender Jose Aja
GOLDEN VALLEY, Minn. - Minnesota United today announced the club has signed Uruguayan defender José Aja. The 26-year-old has a Green Card and will not occupy an international spot on the Loons roster.
"Jose is another valuable piece for us to add. With Brent's [Kallman] suspension early on, we feel as though we're a little bit light at centerback," said Head Coach Adrian Heath. "To get somebody who's been in the league, got a Green Card, has come for the opportunity of staying here long-term - we felt it was too good of an opportunity to turn down. Especially as the lad's played in the league and knows the league inside out. He's a big, strong, athletic centerback. I think he'll be another huge addition to our squad."
Aja joins the Loons from Union Española of Chile's Primera DivisiÃ³n, where he's made five appearances since signing with them in 2019. The defender is re-joining MLS after spending one year in Chile. Aja played with Orlando City SC from 2016-2017 where he made 25 appearances and Vancouver Whitecaps in 2018 with 17 appearances and one goal. His professional career began with Club Nacional de Futbol of Uruguay's Primera DivisiÃ³n in 2014 and he made his professional debut with 45-time First Division and three-time Copa Libertadores champion Club Nacional de Football on Aug. 30, 2014, against Tanque Sisley. While with Nacional, he spent time on loan at Racing Club de Montevideo of Uruguay's second division from 2015-2016 and Orlando City SC in 2016.
Tickets for the first half of the 2020 season at Allianz Field are on sale now at mnufc.com/tickets. Season ticket members, members of The Preserve and subscribers to the MNUFC newsletter will get access to special presales throughout the season before the general public. Visit mnufc.com/preserve for more info on The Preserve and mnufc.com/newsletter for more info on subscribing to the newsletter.
Transaction: Minnesota United signs defender José Aja.
Date of birth: 05.10.1993 (26 years old)
Weight: 187 lbs.
Birthplace: Montevideo, Uruguay
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from February 14, 2020
- Whitecaps FC Sign Midfielder Damiano Pecile to Homegrown Contract - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Sporting KC Acquires Defender Winston Reid - Sporting Kansas City
- Minnesota United Sign Defender Jose Aja - Minnesota United FC
- LAFC Signs Two-Time Golden Boot Winner Bradley Wright-Phillips - Los Angeles FC
- Philadelphia Union Foundation Announce Legends of Soccer Benefit - Philadelphia Union
- Timbers Statement on the Passing of Jimmy Conway - Portland Timbers
- Earthquakes Announce Date Change for Road Match vs. LAFC - San Jose Earthquakes
- Pepsi Post-Game Performance by Ally Brooke on February 29th - Orlando City SC
- PepsiCo Beverages North America Partners with Exploria Stadium as Official Non-Alcoholic Pouring Partner - Orlando City SC
- 2020 Preseason: Position Preview: Defender - Colorado Rapids
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Minnesota United FC Stories
- Minnesota United Signs MLS SuperDraft Pick Noah Billingsley
- Minnesota United Announces 2020 Broadcast Schedule
- 2020 Leagues Cup Returns in July,with MLS-LIGA MX Tournament Bigger and Better
- Minnesota United Sign Defender Jose Aja
- MNUFC Signs Forwad Aaron Schoenfeld