Kjellberg Commits to RPI
DUBUQUE, Iowa - Fighting Saints defenseman Simon Kjellberg announced his commitment to RPI on Thursday afternoon. The Falun, Sweden native and New York Rangers draft pick is in his first season with the Dubuque Fighting Saints. RPI, located in Troy, New York is a member of the ECAC Hockey Conference.
Kjellberg, who has been with the Saints since he was selected in the second round of the Phase II Draft, is a smooth skating defenseman who has shown good growth during the start of the season. Kjellberg has been a consistent presence in the Saints lineup, starting and playing in all 13 games so far this season.
"We are obviously very happy for [Simon]," head coach Oliver David said. "Part of the process coming over from Europe is to showcase yourself for colleges. RPI clearly thought that he had done a good job of that this season already. We are excited for him and also look forward to his continued development this season."
Kjellberg plays a clean style of defensive hockey, using his skating to make plays. This season for the Fighting Saints, Kjellberg has tallied an assist and has been very disciplined defensively as he is one of only three Saints to play in more than five games and not take a penalty. Kjellberg becomes the second Fighting Saint to commit during the 2018-19 regular season.
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from November 8, 2018
- Kjellberg Commits to RPI - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Flying Aces Acquire Multiple Players - Central Illinois Flying Aces
- Flying Aces Announce Medical Appreciation Night Charity - Central Illinois Flying Aces
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Dubuque Fighting Saints Stories
- McCarthy Named USHL Goalie of the Week
- McCarthy's 18 Save Shutout Pushes Dubuque to 6-0 on the Season
- Dubuque Moves to 5-0 with 5-4 Shootout Win
- Weekend Primer: Saints Take Unbeaten Record on Road against Des Moines and Sioux City
- Dubuque Tops Tri-City with Three in the Third