Kickers Close out Season at Atlanta Saturday
RICHMOND, Va. - The Richmond Kickers (6-23-4) will finish off the 2018 USL regular season Saturday night on the road against Atlanta United 2 (6-17-9) at Coolray Field. Kickoff is set for 7:00 p.m. This match will be available on WTVR CBS 6.3 (Comcast 206, Verizon FiOS 466) and streaming online on ESPN+.
Saturday night's match will be just the second meeting between the two clubs. Atlanta made the trip up to City Stadium back on July 21, where the teams battled to a 1-1 draw. Brian Shriver put the Kickers ahead in the 38th minute, curling in a free kick from just outside the Atlanta box. The visitors leveled the score from a solo effort by Jon Gallagher in the 67th minute.
Richmond will be looking for just their second win on the road this season following a 0-3 home defeat to Nashville SC last Saturday night. Nashville got on the board after 20 minutes when Tucker Hume headed in a deflected save from Trevor Spangenberg. Michael Reed doubled the Nashville lead after Ropapa Mensah sent in a cross that Mekeil Williams looked to play away, but ended up hitting Reed and deflected into the goal. Matt LaGrassa picked up a loose ball and played it up for Alan Winn for the third goal of the night in the 56th minute.
Atlanta took a point Wednesday night at home against Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC after a 1-1 draw. Pittsburgh went ahead in the 27th minute as Christiano François sent in a free kick that Thomas Vancaeyezeele headed into goal. Laurent Kissiedou scored his third goal of the season in the 52nd minute to salvage the home point for Atlanta. This draw extended Atlanta's unbeaten streak to three matches.
Keep up to date with the Kickers online at RichmondKickers.com and on social media on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube.
PLAYERS TO WATCH
Richmond: Forward Heviel Cordovés (#16) returns to action after a one-match red card suspension, co-leading the club in scoring with seven goals this season. The Havana, Cuba native has made 23 appearances, including 15 starts since joining the Kickers in the off season from the Charleston Battery. Defender Austin Yearwood (#3) has been getting into the attack, notably setting up the first goal against North Carolina FC back on September 29, along with three assists this season. Yearwood was lead the team with seven crosses in their last outing against Nashville SC. Defender Mekeil Williams (#55) has been solid at the back for the Kickers this season. The Trinidad and Tobago international had eight clearances and three interceptions last Saturday against Nashville
Atlanta: Midfielder Laurent Kissiedou (#11) netted his third goal of the season Wednesday night against Pittsburgh. On loan with the Charleston Battery in 2017, Kissiedou made just one appearance, playing 10 minutes against the Kickers in a 1-3 loss. Defender A.J. Cochran (#3) leads Atlanta in clearances (137), blocks (33) and interceptions (58) this season with 29 appearances. Cochran signed with Atlanta after two seasons with Saint Louis FC, where he made 49 appearances and scored one goal. Forward Jon Gallagher (#26) leads the scoring for Atlanta with six goals in 29 games this season. Drafted by Atlanta United, the Dundalk, Ireland native made 84 appearances over four seasons at the University of Notre Dame and scored 39 goals.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from October 12, 2018
- Match Preview: Charleston Battery at Ottawa Fury FC - Charleston Battery
- Penn FC Set for Season Finale - Penn FC
- Lights FC Closes Inaugural USL Season on the Road at Sacramento Republic SFC - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Defender Tiago Calvano Is Retiring - Penn FC
- Official Club Statement on Today's Announcement - Sacramento Republic FC
- Game Notes: Sounders FC 2 at Tulsa Roughnecks FC - October 13, 2018 - Tacoma Defiance
- Final Match of Season Tomorrow Night - OKC Energy FC
- Three Sounders FC 2 Defenders Named to USL's 20 Under 20 List - Tacoma Defiance
- San Antonio FC Hosts Rio Grande Valley FC in Regular Season Finale - San Antonio FC
- Match Preview: Atlanta United 2 vs Richmond Kickers - Atlanta United 2
- Preview: Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC at New York Red Bulls II - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- LouCity Hosts Indy Eleven for Fan Appreciation Night in Regular-Season Finale - Louisville City FC
- Fireworks and Free Tickets - Penn FC
- Match Preview | Ottawa Fury FC V Charleston Battery - Ottawa Fury FC
- Southern Derby Cup, Playoff Chances on the Line in North Carolina Derby - North Carolina FC
- Preview: Bethlehem Steel FC Looks for Playoff Berth against Rowdies - Philadelphia Union II
- Kickers Close out Season at Atlanta Saturday - Richmond Kickers
- Austin Bold FC to Hold Open Tryouts Next Month - Austin Bold FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.