Kickers Begin Canadian Road Trip Sunday at Toronto
RICHMOND, Va. - The Richmond Kickers (5-13-3) embark on a two-match, Canadian road trip starting Sunday against Toronto FC II (1-16-3) at BMO Field at 7:30 p.m. The match will be available to stream live on ESPN+.
Sunday's match up will be the second meeting this season between the two clubs. TFCII went ahead after just nine minutes as Aidan Daniels found the back of the net for the visitors at City Stadium. Two minutes later Yudai Imura leveled the score for the Kickers set up by Dane Kelly, on loan from D.C. United. An own goal by Toronto's Brandon Onkony gave the Kickers all three points and extended their lead in the overall series at 5-2-1 all-time. This will be the final meeting between these two league opponents, as Toronto FC II will become a founding member of the USL Division III in 2019.
Richmond will be looking to get a result following three straight league losses. The last of those came last Saturday night at the hands of Bethlehem Steel FC at City Stadium. Coming out of halftime scoreless, Steel FC found the break through goal in the 54th minute from Santi Moar. Bethlehem found the back of the net two more times in the final 15 minutes to claim the season sweep of the Kickers and take all three points.
Toronto is also coming into Sunday's match on the heels of a defeat last Saturday night. TFC II took trip to Highmark Stadium to take on Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC. Toronto fell behind the home side with just nine minutes to go in the 90 as Neco Brett scored the only goal of the match.
Following Sunday's contest, the Kickers continue their road trip and take on Ottawa Fury FC at TD Place Stadium. Kickoff for that match is set for 7:00 p.m. and will be available live on ESPN+. The Kickers return home to City Stadium Saturday, August 18 for Family Fest, presented by WTVR CBS 6 and Bounce 2 the Moon. The party starts at 5:30 pm with a one-of-a-kind fun zone featuring human foosball, giant soccer darts and a 24-foot double drop slide, live music, RVA food trucks, ice cream, and over a dozen craft beers on tap. Then, the Kickers take on Penn FC at 7:00 p.m. Tickets are on sale now at RichmondKickers.com.
PLAYERS TO WATCH
Richmond: Midfielder Prince Agyemang (#38) looks to make his debut with the Kickers after a stint at Ontinyent CF in Spain. The Right to Dream Academy product netted a goal as a trialist with the Kickers, during a 2-1 win in a closed door scrimmage with D.C. United in July. Defender Mallan Roberts (#15) made his first start and appearance in league play this season in last Saturday's match against Bethlehem. The Canadian international started in 30 matches for the Kickers in 2017, scoring one goal during that campaign. Midfielder Greg Boehme (#28) made his third start of the season in four appearances since signing with the Kickers after the start of the 2018 season. The VCU standout joined the Kickers after 47 collegiate appearances over four seasons, starting in 26 matches and scoring one goal his junior season.
Toronto: Midfielder Shaan Hundal (#64) has two goals this season in 14 appearances for TFCII this season. Hundal played in 22 matches in 2017, registering seven goals in his sophomore season with Toronto. Midfielder Luca Uccello (#45) converted the game winning penalty kick in TFCII's first win of the season against Nashville SC July 28. This season, the TFC Academy product has three goals and two assists over 19 appearances, 16 of which were starts. Defender Robert Boskovic (#49) leads TFCII with 104 clearances through 17 appearances. Boskovic has led Toronto to three clean sheets this season, including their last one in their victory over Nashville SC.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League message board...
United Soccer League Stories from August 10, 2018
- Nashville SC Shines Under Friday Night Lights in 2-0 Win - Nashville SC
- Fury FC concede 2-0 result away in Nashville - Ottawa Fury FC
- Game Notes: Sounders FC 2 vs. San Antonio FC - August 11, 2018 - Seattle Sounders FC 2
- Ten-Goal Thriller Snaps NYRB II's Home Winning Streak - New York Red Bulls II
- Emphatic LouCity Thrashes New York Red Bulls II on the Road - Louisville City FC
- Rangers Sign Thierry Catherine and Ethan Vanacore-Decker - Swope Park Rangers
- San Antonio FC Travels to Face Seattle Sounders FC 2 - San Antonio FC
- Preview: Bethlehem Steel FC Renews Rivalry with Riverhounds Sunday - Bethlehem Steel FC
- North Carolina FC Begins Road Stretch with Visit to Tampa Bay Rowdies - North Carolina FC
- Phoenix Rising Ready for Battle with Orange County - Phoenix Rising FC
- Chicago Fire Forward Elliot Collier and Midfielder Diego Campos Join Indy Eleven on Loan - Indy Eleven
- Match Preview: Atlanta United 2 vs Charleston Battery - Atlanta United 2
- Lights FC Hits the Road Healthy and Ready, Aims for Season Sweep of Saint Louis FC - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Lights FC Adds to Midfield Rotation, Signing 2-Time MLS Cup Champion Rafael Garcia - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Charleston Battery Re-Signs Dante Marini - Charleston Battery
- Real Monarchs SLC Head to Oklahoma to Face Oklahoma City Energy FC - Real Monarchs SLC
- Kickers Begin Canadian Road Trip Sunday at Toronto - Richmond Kickers
- Foxes Fall 2-1 at La Galaxy II - Fresno FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.