Kelly Koeun Named Rapids' 2020 Community MVP Presented by Wells Fargo
The Colorado Rapids are pleased to announce Kelly Koeun as the club's 2020 Community MVP. Kelly was selected because of her work making masks throughout the COVID-19 pandemic and her ongoing work in the handicapped community.
The following bio comes from Major League Soccer and Wells Fargo's announcement of each team's selection:
When the pandemic started, Kelly Koeun wanted to give back to her community and also find a way to help those with disabilities during this difficult time. As a master seamstress of 30 years, Kelly sewed and donated more than 1,000 high quality, filtered masks to individuals with physical and intellectual disabilities, along with their families and caregivers. The disabled community is of great importance to Kelly as her son Tyler, a former soccer player, was left paralyzed from the shoulders down due to a car accident several years ago. Tyler's injury was also the inspiration behind Kelly's business, Accessible Alterations, where she specializes in alterations for the handicapped community.
Kelly made masks for the Chanda Plan Foundation, Craig Hospital, local businesses, homeless shelters and various individuals who made requests.
"It's just such an honor, and I am humbled to receive this Community MVP Award," Kelly said. "For me, I don't want the recognition, it's just knowing that I am able to do something for my community especially when we were in need."
Kelly was nominated by her son Tyler because of her tireless efforts to make a difference.
"We are delighted to have Kelly Koeun represent the Colorado Rapids as our 2020 Community MVP," said Caitlin Kinser, the club's senior director of community relations. "Kelly's commitment to serving individuals with physical and intellectual disabilities is inspiring."
As the Rapids' Community MVP, Kelly selected a local nonprofit to receive a donation from MLS and Wells Fargo. Kelly selected the Home Builders Foundation, which was very important for her family after Tyler was paralyzed.
"Our home was not accessible," Kelly explained. "So, Home Builders Foundation helped reconstruct our home entrance by building a ramp and widening our front door. At this time Tyler was sleeping in the living room, so Home Builders Foundation also suggested converting our garage into a bedroom for Tyler and use a quarter bathroom into a shower for easier access.
"I know this money means so much to them because now they can provide more to people that really need their service because every dollar that they receive is spread to so many people," Kelly said.
If you are interested in getting a mask or another product from Kelly and Accessible Alterations, you can reach out to her on Instagram or via text message at (303) 829-6766.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from November 17, 2020
- By the Numbers: Analyzing the Keys to Colorado's Success in 2020 - Colorado Rapids
- Baseball Hall of Famer and Seattle Icon Ken Griffey Jr. and Family Join Sounders FC Ownership Group - Seattle Sounders FC
- By the Numbers: the Opening Round of the 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs - Orlando City SC
- Inter Miami CF Set to Play First Playoff Match in Club History on Friday against Nashville SC - Inter Miami CF
- The Importance of the Captain: Nani, Lions Gear up for Postseason - Orlando City SC
- Inter Miami CF Honors 'Sholem Corazon Valiente' with MLS Community MVP Award Presented by Wells Fargo - Inter Miami CF
- Toronto FC Announce Academy Mentorship Program - Toronto FC
- Kelly Koeun Named Rapids' 2020 Community MVP Presented by Wells Fargo - Colorado Rapids
- Houston Dynamo Football Club and Houston Dash Unveil New Club Initiatives, Brand Identity and Primary Badges - Houston Dynamo FC
- Philadelphia Union's Jim Curtin Named 2020 Sigi Schmid MLS Coach of the Year - Philadelphia Union
- Philadelphia Union's Jim Curtin Named 2020 Sigi Schmid MLS Coach of the Year - MLS
- New England Revolution COVID-19 Update - New England Revolution
- Win Or Go Home: Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs Kick off - This Week in MLS - MLS
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Rapids Stories
- Rapids Begin Three-Game Homestand on Sunday vs. Vancouver
- Keys against Vancouver: Score Twice (Or More), Slow Ryan Gauld
- Rapids Draw Portland 2-2 in Back-And-Forth Contest
- Rapids Visit Portland for Midweek Clash against Timbers
- Week 24: Michael Barrios Named to Team of the Week Again