Kansas City Current Defender Gabrielle Robinson Signs New Three-Year Contract
KANSAS CITY - Kansas City Current defender Gabrielle Robinson has signed a new three-year contract that will keep her with the club through the 2026 season.
"We are really proud of Gabby for the rookie season she had," said general manager Camille Ashton. "She's gained a lot of valuable experience this season, has grown significantly, and we can't wait to see how she impacts our team in the coming years."
"Gabby is a great young talent," said head coach Vlatko Andonovski. "She has the tools to be one of the club's defensive cornerstones and I am excited watch her develop."
Robinson was selected by the Current out of West Virginia University with the 15th overall pick in 2023. Thrown into the starting lineup early in the season due to injuries on the backline, Robinson took full advantage of her playing time and developed into one of the best young center backs in the league.
"It is exciting to get a new contract," said Robinson. "My rookie year was crazy, but I'm happy to see that what I did on the field is translating to me staying in Kansas City for three more years."
The rookie defender played in 20 regular season games, with 19 starts, and totaled 1,701 minutes for the Current. All three stats are new rookie records for Kansas City. She also started all seven 2023 UKG NWSL Challenge Cup matches, and her 585 minutes were second on the team. Robinson led all NWSL rookies in blocks (18), Interceptions (23), and clearances (72). She ranked third in games started (19) and fourth in minutes played (1701).
• Discuss this story on the National Women's Soccer League message board...
National Women's Soccer League Stories from November 13, 2023
- Orlando Pride Acquires $50,000 in Allocation Money and Expansion Protection from Bay FC - Orlando Pride
- Bay FC Acquires Orlando Pride's First Round Draft Pick in the 2024 NWSL Draft - Bay FC
- Louisville Mega Cavern Tickets to Benefit LouCity & Racing Foundation - Racing Louisville FC
- Kansas City Current Defender Gabrielle Robinson Signs New Three-Year Contract - Kansas City Current
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kansas City Current Stories
- Kansas City Current Unveil 2024 Primary and Secondary Kits Ahead of Inaugural Season at CPKC Stadium
- Kansas City Current Announces Partnership with 21c Museum Hotel Kansas City
- Forward Alex Pfeiffer Scores First Goal as a Professional
- Kansas City Current Add Two Under 18 Players to Preseason Roster
- Kansas City Current Announces Bold Reuse as Next Partner in CPKC Stadium