Kansas City Comets Sign Kevin Ellis, Byron Alvarez Ahead of Pink Game
KANSAS CITY - The Kansas City Comets announced today that defender Kevin Ellis and Forward Byron Alvarez have signed contracts with the club. Per team and league policies, terms of the agreement were not disclosed.
Both players already have strong Kansas City ties. Ellis was the second home-grown player signed by Sporting Kansas City and Alvarez was an original member of the Missouri Comets team that began play in 2010.
Ellis has signed a three-year commitment to the Comets. He is no stranger to Kansas City as an Oak Park High School graduate and Sporting Home Grown Player. He spent seven years with the professional outdoor team, Sporting Kansas City, until 2018 when he played for the Chicago Fire and D.C. United.
Ellis' best year was 2015 when he scored four goals as one of Sporting KC's starting center backs.
"Kevin is a tremendous player," said Comets head coach Kim Roentved. "He will be able to make an immediate impact with the team and I think the fans will love watching him wearing the Comets uniform for years to come."
Ellis will only help to add to the Comet's defensive efforts. Currently the team has a +11 goal differential and .600 penalty-kill percentage, 5th best in the league.
Comets fans will remember Byron "El Matador" Alvarez from his numerous goals and fiery celebrations. Kansas City signed him for their opening 2010-2011 MISL season. Already a seasoned player, Alvarez added to his impressive stats scoring 33 goals and gaining 80 points total for the season. This led to him winning the MISL Most Valuable Player after his first season with the Comets.
In the successive seasons, he followed up with 78 and 74 points. Alvarez was key to the Comets' postseason runs and looks to do the same this year.
Ellis and Alvarez will help the Comets look to improve on their 7-6 record in the South Central division and climb closer to first place. The Comets take on the Milwaukee Wave on Saturday, February 16 at 7:05 PM at Silverstein Eye Centers Arena in the annual Pink Game.
The team will be wearing special Pink jerseys to honor The Ali Kemp Educational Foundation. Fans can bid on the jerseys in a special online auction through the Live Source App.
Tickets are available on ticketmaster.com and KCComets.com. Fans can catch the match live on MASL.tv. and can also follow along on twitter (@KCComets) and Facebook (Kansas City Comets).
• Discuss this story on the Major Arena Soccer League message board...
Major Arena Soccer League Stories from February 15, 2019
- MetroStars Suffer 6-3 Home Loss to Blast - Mississauga MetroStars
- Blast Defeat Metrostars 6-3 - Baltimore Blast
- St. Louis Ambush Players Almeida, Stinson Earn Team of the Week Honors - St. Louis Ambush
- After Historic Win, Sidekicks Head on the Road to Face RGV - Dallas Sidekicks
- Sidekicks Get Sweet Victory on Valentine's Day - Dallas Sidekicks
- Wave Ready for Battle against Rival Comets Saturday in Kansas City - Milwaukee Wave
- Kansas City Comets Sign Kevin Ellis, Byron Alvarez Ahead of Pink Game - Kansas City Comets
- Game Preview - Harrisburg Heat vs. Mississauga MetroStars - Harrisburg Heat
- Tropics Back Home to Take on Orlando SeaWolves Saturday - Florida Tropics SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.