Kamloops Blazers Partner with Gord Bamford to Celebrate Memorial Cup and WHL Anniversary
KAMLOOPS, BC - Kamloops Blazers are celebrating the franchise's storied history proclaiming February 21 & 22, 2020, the Kamloops Blazers Memorial Cup Anniversary. Celebrating Western Hockey League champions from 1984, '86, '90, '92, '94 and '95, Blazer Alumni, and management are invited back to Kamloops to remember and share stories with the entire community.
"2020 marks the 25th anniversary of the Blazer's last Memorial Cup win in 1995, winning three times in a span of four years," remarks Kamloops Blazers President and COO, Don Moores. "The Kamloops Blazers have won the most Memorial Cups of any WHL team and we wanted to take the opportunity to commemorate it by bringing the teams back who made it all happen."
The Kamloops Blazers Memorial Cup Anniversary weekend kicks off Friday February 21 with Canada's most decorated country music artist Gord Bamford and his #REDNEK Music Fest including an Up Close & Personal preshow with Rob Brown, Ken Hitchcock and Shane Doan. The #REDNEK Music Fest features Platinum-selling JUNO Award winner Jess Moskaluke, JoJo Mason, Eric Ethridge, Andrew Hyatt, Cory Marks, Duane Steele, and GhostBoy.
Gord Bamford's son Nash was drafted by the Kamloops Blazers earlier this year. Bamford played in Kamloops last summer at BCLC's Midsummer Music Jam to unprecedented crowds. Bamford also geared up on ice in 2016 in the WHL's 50th Season Pro Am Alumni Game as part of the Scotiabank Hockey Day in Canada celebrations in Kamloops.
"Kamloops has become a special place for me and my family," says Bamford. "I'm honoured to kick off the Blazers Memorial Cup celebration with our amazing lineup of artists. You can't get more Canadian than country music and hockey."
Tickets to Gord Bamford #REDNEK Music Fest go on sale to the public through Ticketmaster on October 25. Ticket prices start at $39.50.
Saturday February 22, Blazer Alumni and guests will attend a brunch honouring our Canadian Military with members of the Royal Canadian Legion branch 52, ANAVETS and the Rocky Mountain Rangers.
"The Kamloops Blazers honour the military through various events throughout the year including Military Appreciation nights," explains Royal Canadian Legion branch 52 President Craig Thomson. "The Memorial Cup is a Canadian institution dating back to 1919 in recognition of the sacrifice of Canadian soldiers in the First World War. We value our continued partnership with the Kamloops Blazers."
Saturday afternoon from 3-5pm, fans are invited to a free Hot stove and autograph session with Blazers Alumni including Bob Brown, Ken Hitchcock, Rob Brown, Greg Evtushevski, Tom Renney, Greg Hawgood, Shane Doan, Scott Niedermayer, and more WHL greats! It is expected to be the who's who of Canadian Hockey. Fans can also have their photo taken with the Memorial Cup and Digger.
Saturday night is game night where the Kamloops Blazers faceoff against the Calgary Hitmen at 7pm. There will be pre-game opening ceremonies recognizing returning coaches and players. It is expected to be a sold-out game.
"The Kamloops Blazers have always had the support of the Kamloops community," expresses Kamloops Blazers co-owner Tom Gaglardi. "Blazers fans continue to come out and get behind the team. Our team and coaches are working hard to build on last years' success. The Memorial Cup Anniversary is a reminder of the heart within our organization, the community and those that helped to get us where we are today."
For more information about the Kamloops Blazers Memorial Cup & WHL Anniversary, visit www.blazerhockey.com.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from October 18, 2019
- Oil Kings Claim Two Points After Trip Down Highway 2 - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Hurricanes Take Ealy Lead, Hold on to Edge Pats, 2-1 - Regina Pats
- Rockets off to Kamloops tomorrow - Kelowna Rockets
- Pink in the Rink a Success - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Pokecheck's Birthday Party Presented by Save-On-Foods October 25th - Saskatoon Blades
- Unveil Bret 'The Hitman' Hart Jersey - Calgary Hitmen
- Kamloops Blazers Partner with Gord Bamford to Celebrate Memorial Cup and WHL Anniversary - Kamloops Blazers
- Nolan Foote named 25th captain of Kelowna Rockets - Kelowna Rockets
- Tigers Host Autograph Night November 19th - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Calgary Hitmen Game Preview - Friday, October 18 vs. Moose Jaw Warriors - Calgary Hitmen
- Game Day Preview: Pats Kick-Off Mini Alberta Road Trip in Lethbridge Friday - Regina Pats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kamloops Blazers Stories
- Why the Kamloops Blazers Work with this Mental Consultant
- Blazers Name Cory Clouston as Interim Assistant Coach
- Kamloops Blazers Partner with Gord Bamford to Celebrate Memorial Cup and WHL Anniversary
- Connor Zary Named to Team WHL
- Stankoven Named to Canada's Under-17 Roster