Justin Mapp scores lone goal for Fire at "La Corregidora" stadium in Queretaro, Mexico
QUERETARO, MEXICO (Feb. 18, 2009) - The Chicago Fire had to settle for a 1-1 tie tonight against Queretaro FC in an international preseason exhibition match at "La Corregidora" stadium in Queretaro, Mexico. Midfielder Justin Mapp had the lone goal for the Fire in the 34th minute of play giving the Fire a one goal advantage entering halftime. A goal from Queretaro FC in the last minute of the match leveled the score for a 1-1 tie at the final whistle.
In the 34th minute, midfielder John Thorrington passed a ball to Mapp positioned 25 yards out. Mapp touched the ball with his left foot, stopped, and took a shot with his right foot that sailed past the Queretaro FC goalkeeper for the one goal advantage leading into halftime.
The Fire held the lead until the final minute of the match when Edwin Castro Leo of Queretaro slipped a low shot inside the right post from six yards out after collecting a free kick in the area.
The Fire will next face Monarcas de Morelia on Tuesday, Feb. 24 at 8 p.m. CT. Chicago will continue to train in Queretaro, Mexico until Feb. 26 when the team returns to Chicago. Details about the team's remaining preseason plans will be announced soon.
Chicago Fire: GK-Nick Noble (Andrew Dykstra 45), D-Tim Ward (Roland Paul Bebey Kingue 45)(David Sais 75), D-Dasan Robinson (Austin Washington 63), D-Bakary Soumare (C.J. Brown 45), D-Gonzalo Segares (Daniel Woolard 45), M-Chris Rolfe (Cuauhtémoc Blanco 55), M-Logan Pause (Jokull Elisabetarson 75), M-John Thorrington (Baggio Husidic 45), M-Justin Mapp (Mike Banner 45), F-Patrick Nyarko (Richard Jata 85), F-Brian McBride (Stefan Dimitrov 65) (Richard Jata 85).
Queretaro FC: GK-José Guadalupe Martínez, D-Omar Jair Maldonado, D-Raúl Rico, D-Francisco Javier Sartiaguin, D-Samuel Hernández, M-Asael Pérez Yamet (Jorge José Ibarra 45), M- Esteban Alberto González (Víctor Manuel Estrada 45), M- Fabián Mares (Juan Ignacio González 45), M- Marco Antonio Jímenez, F- Edwin Castro Leo, F- Isaac Romo
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from February 19, 2009
- Chivas USA Update - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Wizards Face Partner Club Atlas AC Friday in Guadalajara, Mexico - Sporting Kansas City
- FC Dallas Shuts Out Florida International 9-0 - FC Dallas
- Soccer Unites Utah to Host Bone Marrow Donor Drives across the Country - Real Salt Lake
- Revolution to partner with Boston's Mayor Menino for Health Kick 2009 - New England Revolution
- Sounders FC Signs Second-Round Draft Choice Brown - Seattle Sounders FC
- Justin Mapp scores lone goal for Fire at "La Corregidora" stadium in Queretaro, Mexico - Chicago Fire
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.