Jones is Schutt af2 Offensive Player of the Week
SOUTHAVEN --- Memphis Xplorers QB Brian Jones was named today as the Schutt Offensive Player of the Week for Week Two of the af2 season. Jones accounted for all nine of the team's offensive touchdowns, seven passing and two rushing, in the Xplorers' 78-46 win over the Florida Firecats on Saturday at the DeSoto Civic Center.
Jones was 24 of 32 for 279 yards and seven touchdowns passing Saturday night. On the ground, he added the two scores and 18 yards rushing. Jones ranks first in af2 in total offense with 311 yards per game and first in total offensive touchdowns with 16. Through the first two weeks, the former Toledo Rocket has a completion rate of 71% (44-62), 574 yards passing, 13 touchdowns and just one interception. He is also the team's leading rusher with 43 yards and three touchdowns.
This is the second weekly award for Jones in his career. He was the offensive player of the week in Week Eight of the 2004 season. Last season, Jones set franchise marks for passing and rushing touchdowns in a season with 69 and 23, respectively.
This is the first weekly award this season for the Xplorers after having five in their 2005 ArenaCup championship season.
The Xplorers also today placed lineman David Bamiro (bah MEER oh) on re-assignment. Bamiro started at the defensive line specialist position in the first two games of the season; making one tackle and failing to register a sack.
The Xplorers host the Tennessee Valley Vipers this Saturday in a Week Three rematch of Memphis' Week One 47-25 win at Huntsville, AL. Kickoff this Saturday at the DeSoto Civic Center is at 7 p.m.
The Memphis Xplorers...2005 ArenaCup Champions
The Xplorers will defend their Arena Cup Championship in 2006 and you can be in on the action. The season begins on April 1 at Tennessee Valley with the home opener on April 8 versus the Florida Firecats.
Season Tickets are available now and begin as low as $56. Don't miss all the action of the "50-Yard Indoor War." For season ticket information call the Xplorers office at 662-342-1755.
Single game tickets are also available now starting at $12 and can be purchased online at www.ticketmaster.com, by calling 901-525-1515 or in person at the DeSoto Civic Center box office during business hours.
• Discuss this story on the arenafootball2 message board...
arenafootball2 Stories from April 11, 2006
- Lightning to participate with Delta Blood Bank - Stockton Lightning
- af2 names DeRonn Finley "Ironman of the Week" - Bakersfield Blitz
- DeRonn Finley on "The Indoor War Report with Head Coach Gary Compton" - Bakersfield Blitz
- Jones is Schutt af2 Offensive Player of the Week - Memphis Xplorers
- Florida Firecats game notes - Florida Firecats
- Tennessee Valley Viper game notes - Alabama Vipers
- Gibbs named ADT Defensive Player of Week - Alabama Vipers
- Steeldogs to Make History with Biblical Jerseys - Alabama Steeldogs
- Birmingham Steeldogs game notes - Alabama Steeldogs
- Finley, Jomes and Gibbs earn week two honors - af2
- Louisville Fire game notes - Louisville Fire
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.