John Harkes Named League One's Coach of the Year
Greenville, SC - Greenville Triumph SC Head Coach John Harkes led his side within one win of claiming a title in its 2019 inaugural season. This year, there would be no denying them.
Harkes was named USL League One's Coach of the Year after leading his side to its first title. Finishing six points clear at the top of the regular season standings, Greenville sat in first place throughout the campaign from its regular season victory on July 18 to its finale on October 24.
Founded once again on a strong defensive base, Greenville controlled its place at the top of the standings thanks to a pair of six-game undefeated streaks during the shortened 16-week season. The first put Triumph SC on top as it won five of its first six games to start the season that saw players like Noah Pilato, Lachlan McLean and JJ Donnelly come through with key goals in 1-0 victories.
The second sealed first place in the league standings as Harkes' side reeled off a five-game winning streak that saw the attacking tandem of McLean and Alex Morrell provide the goals ahead of a back line led by goalkeeper Dallas Jaye and defender Brandon Fricke, both of whom were honored earlier this week. Greenville's dominating 4-1 victory on the final day of the season concluded an outstanding campaign steered by Harkes' steady hand.
Recognition for his coaching abilities is nothing new to the U.S. Soccer Hall of Famer. In 2016, he was a finalist for the Championship's award after an outstanding inaugural season with FC Cincinnati as well as last year in League One for his exploits in Greenville's first season.
He walks away with the prize in 2020, having built a foundation in two years that looks set to see the Triumph thrive for many years to come. Harkes earned 79 percent of the vote to earn the award. Greenville has now claimed three of five end of the year awards with Most Valuable Player and Young Player of the Year still to be determined.
The 2020 USL League One Awards were voted on by team technical staffs and executives. Voting was conducted following the conclusion of the 2020 League One regular season.
2020 USL League One Award Winners:
Goalkeeper of the Year: Dallas Jaye
Defender of the Year: Brandon Fricke
Coach of the Year: John Harkes
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League One message board...
United Soccer League One Stories from November 12, 2020
- Madison's Chris Brady Named League One's Young Player of the Year - USL1
- Chris Brady Wins League One Young Player of the Year Award - Forward Madison FC
- John Harkes Named League One's Coach of the Year - Greenville Triumph SC
- 25 Academy Players Invited to Tormenta FC Training Center Program - South Georgia Tormenta FC
- Greenville's John Harkes Named League One's Coach of the Year - USL1
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Greenville Triumph SC Stories
- Match Preview: Greenville Triumph at Chattanooga Red Wolves
- GTSC, Fifth Third Bank Announce Small Business of the Month Award
- Walker Earns Weekly Honor After Striking First Goal of the Season
- Triumph Concede Three Unanswered in 3-2 Loss
- Match Preview: Greenville Triumph vs. South Georgia Tormenta