JetHawks fall in Modesto finale snapping win streak at five
MODESTO, Calif. - The JetHawks saw their five-game win streak come to an end as they failed to sweep the Modesto Nuts, losing 6-4 on Sunday afternoon at John Thurman Field.
The Nuts (17-20) were carried by a couple of early Cal Raleigh home runs. The catcher, playing on Sunday as the designated hitter, hit a two-run homer in the first inning and followed with a three-run shot in the second.
Will Gaddis (1-4) settled in after allowing the early homers to Raleigh, but the defecit was too much for the JetHawks (21-16) to overcome. Gaddis would allowed six runs on nine hits over six innings with four strikeouts. He did not issue a walk.
Ian McKinney (2-2) pitched in and out of trouble in his five-inning start for the Nuts. Luis Castro walked to lead off the second inning, moved to second on a bunt, to third on a passed ball and scored on a Sean Bouchard fly ball to put Lancaster on the board.
Bouchard added a solo shot in the fourth inning to bring the JetHawks within four runs, but McKinney stranded two runners in each the third, fourth and fifth innings to keep Modesto afloat.
The JetHawks rallied for two runs in the ninth inning against reliever Sam Delaplane before Ryan Vilade struck out with a runner at third to end the game.
Carlos Herrera went 1-for-4 with a RBI to extend his hitting streak to 13 games.
Lancaster returns home for a four-game showdown with Rancho Cucamonga beginning Monday night at The Hangar. Lucas Gilbreath is scheduled to start the series-opener against righty Gerardo Carillo. First pitch is 6:35 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the California League message board...
California League Stories from May 12, 2019
- Ports End Winless Trip with 7-3 Loss - Stockton Ports
- Quakes Suffer Tough Ninth on Sunday - Rancho Cucamonga Quakes
- Raleigh's Power Ends Three-Game Skid - Modesto Nuts
- JetHawks fall in Modesto finale snapping win streak at five - Lancaster JetHawks
- Storm Take Series from San Jose - Lake Elsinore Storm
- Lake Elsinore Shut out by San Jose - Lake Elsinore Storm
- Quakes Win Big Game on Saturday; Home Sunday for Mother's Day - Rancho Cucamonga Quakes
- Balk Sends Nuts to Third Straight Loss - Modesto Nuts
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.