January 10, 2019 - Orlando Apollos Daily Update
The Apollos were in pads again for Thursday's morning practice, finishing the day with a walkthrough and weightlifting session at the University of the Incarnate Word.
PLAYMAKERS: While Coach Spurrier's offense will grab a lot of the headlines, it's the defense that has been turning heads early in camp. Defensive coordinator Bob Sanders talked about doing things 'the Apollo way,' reminding the media, "These are NFL guys. We're just trying to get them in position to make plays, every single person on every single play."
LEGENDARY: When asked about what it's like to play for Apollos head ball coach Steve Spurrier, many players have used the term 'legendary.' New Apollo Jerel Worthy described the way Coach Spurrier embraced him immediately, saying, "You just want to play hard for a guy like that. He's a player's coach - he's always about what's best for the team and you just want to out there and give it your all."
ADJUSTING: Training camp is an adjustment period for everyone on the roster. With four quarterbacks taking snaps, the ball won't fly the same way to the wideouts on every play. Orlando native Marvin Bracy-Williams Jr. is enjoying the challenge, saying, "You've got to learn how to make adjustments on the fly for each and every one of them. I know they're all fighting for a spot just like I am. I'm excited to work with each and every one of them."
After practice, The Apollos content team caught up with defensive coordinator Bob Sanders, quarterback Austin Appleby, wide receiver Marvin Bracy Williams Jr. and defensive end Jerel Worthy. B-roll, interviews, images and quote sheets (Training Camp Media Availability tab) from Apollos training camp are available on the Apollos media website.
The Apollos are allocated players who went to college in the state of Florida - for a complete breakdown of the roster by college, check the Training Camp Report tab on the Apollos media website.
A member of The Alliance of American Football, The Orlando Apollos are led by an experienced professional coaching, playing and front office staff featuring head coach Steve Spurrier, team president Mike Waddell and general manager Tim Ruskell.
The Apollos compete in The Alliance of American Football with The Atlanta Legends, Birmingham Iron, Memphis Express, Arizona Hotshots, Salt Lake Stallions, San Antonio Commanders and San Diego Fleet. The name Orlando Apollos is inspired by Apollo, Greek god of the sun, who is often depicted as an archer. The Apollos' colors are derived from two shades of orange which are reflective of the warm Florida sunshine that is common to Orlando and central Florida, and the color navy also pays respect to the Apollo Space mission and the entire Florida Space Coast. The Apollos' arrow points east toward Florida.
Orlando Apollos' home games will be played at Spectrum Stadium. Fans can purchase season tickets for as low as $75 at www.orlandoapollos.com or by calling 833-AAF-2019. For more information on The Apollos, visit the team's website and be sure to follow The Apollos on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
• Discuss this story on the Alliance of American Football message board...
Alliance of American Football Stories from January 10, 2019
- Memphis Express Daily Update - Memphis Express
- January 10, 2019 - Orlando Apollos Daily Update - Orlando Apollos
- Memphis Express Unveils 30-Minute Downtown Challenge - Memphis Express
- "Stacking Those Blocks": Iron QB Luis Perez Recaps Day 6 of Camp - Birmingham Iron
- San Antonio Commanders Training Camp Daily Update for Thursday, January 10, 2019 - San Antonio Commanders
- Birmingham Iron Daily Report - Birmingham Iron
- Arizona Hotshots Daily Update: Thursday, January 10, 2019 - Arizona Hotshots
- SD Fleet Daily Update - San Diego Fleet
- Salt Lake Stallions Daily Update - Salt Lake Stallions
- SD Fleet Daily Update - San Diego Fleet
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Orlando Apollos Stories
- Apollos first in The Alliance to clinch a playoff spot after 36-6 rout of Legends
- Desperate Hotshots Hold off Apollos
- Hotshots hand Apollos their first loss of the season, 22-17
- Steve Spurrier's Orlando Apollos Lead Alliance at Halfway Mark
- Apollos defense sets tone in statement win over Iron