Memphis Express Daily Update
- The Express took the field at 3:30 pm CT on Thursday at S.T.A.R. Soccer Complex.
- Thursday marked the second day of padded practice. The Express worked on individual drills, one-on-ones, 7-on-7s, 11-on-11s, and red zone offense.
- The Alliance of American Football's head of football development Hines Ward paid a visit to Express practice on Thursday.
- The Memphis Express added DE Anthony Johnson (LSU) to its active list, added DT Montori Hughes (UT-Martin), WR Damore'ea Stringfellow (Mississippi), RB Jahad Thomas (Temple), and OT Toby Weathersby (LSU) to its reserved list, and waived its rights to RB Antonio Andrews (Western Kentucky), DT Matt Elam (Kentucky), WR Jonathan Ray (Memphis), LB Reggie Spearman (Grand Valley State), LB Xavier Thigpen (Southern Mississippi).
- CB Jahmahl Pardner (Memphis) stood out with an outstanding afternoon on the practice field. Pardner broke up three passes and contributed a pick six in 11-on-11s.
- WR Reece Horn (Indianapolis) hauled in the afternoon's best catch, pinning a QB Christian Hackenberg (Penn State) deep ball against the back of the covering cornerback by going over his head, 45 yards downfield on a go route
- QB Zach Mettenberger (LSU) produced back-to-back touchdowns in red zone offense, finding TE Brett Thompson (UT-Martin) posted up against zone coverage for the first, and delivering a shovel pass to RB Terrence Magee (LSU) for a five-yard score on the second.
- LB Colton Jumper (Tennessee) snagged an interception in one-on-ones by running underneath an out route.
- WR Drew Morgan (Arkansas) secured a sideline grab in 7-on-7s against tight coverage, going up top to make the play and maintaining the catch through a rough landing on his back.
- Head Coach Mike Singletary on whether he saw improvement on the defense's communication: "I did, it's still a work in progress, we have to continue to work at it. As the days goes by, we'll get better."
- Head Coach Mike Singletary on what he saw from the receivers and defensive backs: "I saw healthy competition. That's what football is about, competing. We've got a lot of players. Good receivers, defensive backs, and they're battling to make each other better."
- Head Coach Mike Singletary on Hines Ward visiting practice: "It's good. Any time you have a former football player, especially the way he played the game, it's nice to be able to chat with him about the league; how we're doing, what things are getting better, and what needs to get better. It's always good to see him."
- WR Reece Horn (Indianapolis) on his growing notoriety in the receiving group: "It's great. It's always good to feed off your position group's energy. I'm not usually the one to be too vocal, but I try to come out and work. I know where I need to be in certain situations, especially third down. Moving the ball, as a team, as an offense, I just want to step up, make plays, and show the coaching staff I'm here to earn a spot."
- WR Reece Horn (Indianapolis) on the competition at Memphis Express practice: "Everyday we're coming to battle. I love that. Picking out a certain number, lining up one-on-one with the man across, whoever wants to win. You just want to make more plays than they do and catch the ball when it's thrown to you."
- WR Reece Horn (Indianapolis) on Hines Ward visiting practice: "He's one of the main receivers I looked up to growing up. I'll never forget when he came back on a peel block and literally cracked some guy's jaw. Having him here watching definitely adds a little pressure, but I'm just here to make plays and make myself known."
- CB Jahmahl Pardner (Memphis) on his journey from Pitt to the University of Memphis and on to the Memphis Express: "University of Memphis adopted me. I went there as a graduate student. They gave me another opportunity when this game could have been over. The Memphis Express has done the same thing. So I love Memphis, absolutely."
Images from this story
Channing Stribling of the Memphis Express at practice
Pepper Johnson, Mike Singletary and Hines Ward at Memphis Express practice
Memphis Express QB Zach Mettenberger
• Discuss this story on the Alliance of American Football message board...
Alliance of American Football Stories from January 10, 2019
- Memphis Express Daily Update - Memphis Express
- January 10, 2019 - Orlando Apollos Daily Update - Orlando Apollos
- Memphis Express Unveils 30-Minute Downtown Challenge - Memphis Express
- "Stacking Those Blocks": Iron QB Luis Perez Recaps Day 6 of Camp - Birmingham Iron
- San Antonio Commanders Training Camp Daily Update for Thursday, January 10, 2019 - San Antonio Commanders
- Birmingham Iron Daily Report - Birmingham Iron
- Arizona Hotshots Daily Update: Thursday, January 10, 2019 - Arizona Hotshots
- SD Fleet Daily Update - San Diego Fleet
- Salt Lake Stallions Daily Update - Salt Lake Stallions
- SD Fleet Daily Update - San Diego Fleet
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.