'Jacks Squeek Past Gens 6-5 In Shootout
FLINT, MI -The Flint Generals fell to the Muskegon Lumberjacks Sunday afternoon at Perani 6- 5 in a shootout as they continue to struggle stringing wins together.
Brandon Gentile kicked things off for the Generals, scoring a power play goal 11:25 into the game when he carried the puck up the right wing from the redline and backhanded it past Centomo. Muskegon responded 1:03 later when Brian Bicek's shot from the point beat Nick Niedert high stick side. Matt Krug shot a rocket from the right point that hit Niedert's pad and went five-hole, giving the Lumberjacks the lead late in the first.
The 'Jacks made it a two goal game with Krug's second of the night; both goals were on the power play. Pascal Rheaume brought the Gens back within one when John Ronan skated around the net with the puck then passed it up through the crease to Rheaume who was standing on the doorstep and chipped it up and over Matt Lundin. Ronan added a power play goal of his own at 13:31 with a chip in goal, Steve Silver's shot bounced down to Ronan who was standing down by the post and tipped the puck in on his backhand. Silver skated down the right wing and went high stick side on Lundin, getting help from John Mori and Tony Tuzzolino, giving the Gens a 4-3 lead.
Early in the final stanza Muskegon's Damian Surma evened the score with their third power play goal of the night. Flint regained the lead just past the halfway mark of the period thanks to a goal by Jamie Schaafsma. The 'Jacks tied it once again three minutes later, which sent the game into overtime, the third trip to overtime in as many games for the Generals. And for the third straight game, it took a shootout to decide.
Jamie Schaafsma scored for the Generals, but Damian Surma and Robin Bouchard beat Niedert giving the 'Jacks the win.
Niedert stopped 29 of 34 shots while the Gens went 3 of 4 with the man advantage. Though they have lost two of their last three, both losses were in a shootout increasing t heir unbeaten streak to five games.
The Gens meet the 'Jacks again this coming Friday in Muskegon for a 7:00 PM puck drop. They return to Perani Saturday, January 9th to host the Dayton Gems.
• Discuss this story on the International Hockey League 2 message board...
International Hockey League 2 Stories from January 3, 2010
- Icehawks Winning Streak Snapped In Dayton - Port Huron Icehawks
- Dayton Gems Break Port Huron Icehawks Spell, 4-2 - Dayton Gems
- 'Jacks Squeek Past Gens 6-5 In Shootout - Flint Generals
- Puska on Pucks features Fort Wayne Komets, previews CHL All-Star Game - OSC Original by Denis Puska
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Flint Generals Stories
- Generals Zvyagin on Shelf, Alban Signed as Emergency Backup
- Generals and Komets Prepare for Game 4 on Friday
- Generals Win Thriller in OT to Take Game 3
- Generals Prepared For Game 3 Of Turner Cup Finals At Home Tonight At 7pm
- Generals Defeat Muskegon In Game 7; Will Face Fort Wayne In Turner Cup Finals