Jackalopes Give up Four-Unanswered in Third Period, Fall to Amarillo 4-1
AMARILLO, TX - It was all about the third period on Saturday night. The Jackalopes had a lead going into the third period, but were unable to hold it. Instead, they gave up four unanswered (including an empty net goal) as the Jackalopes (7-13-2-1) fell 4-1 to the Amarillo Bulls (11-6-2-1) at the Budweiser Bull Pen.
After a scoreless first period, the Jackalopes got on the board first thanks to Gabe Bennett's second goal in as many nights. Like Friday night, Bennett was able to stuff a shot in from a short angle to put Odessa on the board.
The Jackalopes took a 1-0 lead into the third period. But 12 seconds into the final frame Amarillo was able to tie the game from a goal off of a rebound. The Jacks had two power play opportunities to take back the lead but came up empty. Twelve minutes after tying the game, the Bulls took the lead off of another goal off a rebound to go up 2-1.
Down for the first time on the night, the Jackalopes took a hooking penalty late in the third period. After keeping Amarillo's vaunted power play off the board all weekend, the Bulls broke through to put Amarillo up 3-1 before taking on an empty-netter to finish the game.
The loss marks just the third time that Odessa has lost a game in regulation after scoring the first goal. Jackalopes netminder Connor Hasley made 34 saves on 37 shots against.
The Jackalopes will welcome the Wichita Falls Warriors to the Ector County Coliseum.
• Discuss this story on the North American Hockey League message board...
North American Hockey League Stories from January 24, 2021
- Werner's One-Timer Gives Titans 3-2 OT Win over Generals - New Jersey Titans
- Wings Sweep Fairbanks with Huge 8-0 Win - Aberdeen Wings
- Bruins Blanked by Wilderness, 3-0 - Austin Bruins
- Jackalopes Give up Four-Unanswered in Third Period, Fall to Amarillo 4-1 - Odessa Jackalopes
- Bulls Get Weekend Sweep - Amarillo Bulls
- Norsemen Outshoot Bobcats But Fall in Bout - St. Cloud Norsemen
- Bugs Sweep Brahmas to Take over 1st Place in South Division - Shreveport Mudbugs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.