Iron Open af2 Regular Season at Home Friday
The Milwaukee Iron, undefeated in the preseason, will open the regular season against the Iowa Barnstormers on Friday, March 27 at 7:05 at the Bradley Center . A special extended pregame ceremony begins at 6:45 in which former Milwaukee Mustang players Gary Compton, Kenny Stucker and Todd Hammel will have their numbers retired.
After eight long years, Arena Football has returned to Milwaukee. Thanks to a group of young and excited local owners, the Iron were forged in October 2008. The on-field team is led by Iron Head Coach and Director of Football Operations Gary Compton, a former AFL standout who had his best seasons in Milwaukee as a valuable player with the Mustangs. Compton knows how great the fans are in Milwaukee and is ready to give them something to cheer about. He has put his new team together with a large number of league veterans. These veterans aren't retreads, however . They can play. On defense, linemen Quartez Vickerson and DeMarcus Johnson are among the names that Iron fans will get to know. Vickerson played for Green Bay in 2008 and recorded 7.5 sacks in just 14 games played. Johnson saw action with the Daytona Beach ThunderBirds last season. The defensive secondary boasts Donnie Amadi (Green Bay), Lavar Stepter (Quad City) and James McCoy (Florida). All three players started for their respective teams in 2008. The Iron look strong at linebacker as well with Mahoning Valley transfer Kellen Driscoll (48.5 tackles, 13.5 tackles for loss, 8.0 sacks). On offense, Compton recruited a cast of capable playmakers, including Scott Burnoski (83-1103-24 TDs with Green Bay in 2008), Kellen Allen (65-836-22 TDs in 8 games with Tulsa in 2008) and Ricardo Lenhart (103-1177-17 TDs with Louisville in 2008). Tyre Young may carry the rock around the goal line. In just seven games with Green Bay last year , he led the team with 241 rushing yards (8 TDs). The starting signal caller job is up for grabs and will likely come down to Wisconsin alum Tyler Donovan and UW LaCrosse alum Shane Adler . If either QB can step up and perform well under center , the Iron will turn some heads in their first season.
Kickoff is at 7:05 Friday at the Bradley Center vs. the Iowa Barnstormers.
• Discuss this story on the arenafootball2 message board...
arenafootball2 Stories from March 23, 2009
- Dusters quarterback Basseuner conquers 72 oz. steak - Amarillo Venom
- Pinkney Wins Wolves Start at QB on Friday in Season Opener - Manchester Wolves
- Wolves Deaf Rookie Makes the Team - and a Statement - Manchester Wolves
- Boise Burn Announce Opening Day Roster - Boise Burn
- Blizzard Kickoff Home Opener Against Vipers - Green Bay Blizzard
- Firebirds and Flames To Greet Fans Weekly at The Sports Grill In East Greenbush - Albany Firebirds
- Stormers Finalize Roster for Season Opener - Iowa Barnstormers
- 2009 Southwest Division Preview - af2
- Sharks Game Notes - Corpus Christi Sharks
- Iron Retiring Numbers on Opening Night - Milwaukee Mustangs
- Iron Open af2 Regular Season at Home Friday - Milwaukee Mustangs
- Iron Announce Pregame Performers - Milwaukee Mustangs
- Iron Make Final Cuts - Milwaukee Mustangs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.