IceRays Help Raise Over $54,000 To Fight Cancer
The Corpus Christi IceRays held their second annual Pink in the Rink Night, presented by Andrew's Distributing and Radiology & Imaging on Saturday to help the fight against breast cancer, and raised more than $54,000 for the American Cancer Society in the event. The donations were raised as part of the IceRays 5-2 win over the Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs at the American Bank Center on Saturday night. A season-high 5,958 fans attended the game, which helped raise nearly $20,000 more than last year. The IceRays and the American Cancer Society would like to thank all of their sponsors, fans, and donators who helped make Pink in the Rink Night so successful. The IceRays will return to the American Bank Center this weekend for a pair of games on Friday and Saturday night. For more information, please call the IceRays at 361.814.PUCK or visit them at www.goicerays.com.
In their second annual Pink in the Rink Night, the IceRays used pink sticks, wore pink jerseys, and auctioned them off to fans. The total amount raised on Saturday was $54,010 which will go to Corpus Christi's local chapter of the American Cancer Society. IceRays General Manager, Pat Dunn said that he was overwhelmed and thrilled by the community's response to Pink in the Rink Night.
"It was absolutely incredible," said Dunn. "This is a cause that is very personal to me, and so many people in the community. To see everyone rally together, to see a packed American Bank Center for something like this, and to be able to give that kind of money to the American Cancer Society is just incredible. I can't thank our fans and sponsors enough for what we were able to do on Saturday." Lindsey Johnson, Community Manager of Corpus Christi's chapter of the American Cancer Society echoed Dunn's sentiments.
"Saturday's event was amazing to be a part of. It was such an inspirational night for anyone who's been touched by this disease," said Johnson. "With the economy the way it is, and for people to be so generous, we were extremely floored and grateful. There aren't enough words to express our gratitude to this community. On behalf of all the patients and survivors that his money will help, I wish I could thank everybody personally. I'm not sure everybody realizes just how much a difference they can make."
The money raised from Saturday will help numerous cancer patients and survivors receive treatment, wigs and scarves, breast prosthesis, and transportation to and from medical centers all free of charge. For more information on the local fight against cancer and all the services that the American Cancer Society provides, please call them at 361.857.0136 or visit www.cancer.org
The IceRays will return to the American Bank Center on Friday night to host the Laredo Bucks and Saturday to host the Rapid City Rush. Friday is Go Green Night presented by CPL Retail Energy. Wear a green shirt to the game and get a $10 ticket. Plus the first 500 fans will receive stainless steel water bottles from CPL. It's also Frosty Friday with half price beer and soda at the game. Then on Saturday night at 7:45, it's Stripes Night. The first 20 fans who wear red and white to the game will be moved into a suite courtesy of Stripes convenience stores. There are also Caller-Times Family Four Packs of tickets available for $34. Tickets are on sale for both games. For more information, please call the IceRays at 361.814.PUCK or visit them online at www.goicerays.com.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from February 17, 2010
- RiverKings Stop Thunder To Open Road Trip - Mississippi RiverKings
- Kelly Scores Twice, But Thunder Falls To Kings - Wichita Thunder
- Mudbugs Announce Season Ticket Holder Practice Viewing - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Sundogs Partner With Local Fire Fighters To Raise Money For Arizona Children's Burn Camp - Arizona Sundogs
- Rapid City Takes Over Top Spot On Yellowbook CHL Coaches Poll - CHL
- IceRays Help Raise Over $54,000 To Fight Cancer - Corpus Christi IceRays
- RiverKings Showcase Down Syndrome Awareness - Mississippi RiverKings
- Sniper Beauregard Returns To Oilers - Tulsa Oilers
- Bucks Can Tie Texas Again With Win Thursday - Laredo Bucks
- Dunn Scores Two, Jacks Win 4-3 - Odessa Jackalopes
- Sundogs' Three-Game Win Streak Ends In Team's 11th Consecutive One-Goal Game - Arizona Sundogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Corpus Christi IceRays Stories
- Don'T Forget About Justin Quenneville's Retirement Party Tonight
- IceRays Host Street Hockey Challenge
- IceRays Season Ends With 2-0 Loss At Texas
- IceRays Fall 5-4 In Overtime To Brahmas, Trail Series 1-0
- IceRays Beat Killer Bees 6-3 In Regular Season Finale