IceRays edge Bucks, 2-1
Kris Tebbs made 29 saves and the Corpus Christi IceRays locked down defensively for the final 40 minutes to beat the Laredo Bucks 2-1 Friday night at the American Bank Center. The win was their second in a week over Laredo. The IceRays victory improved their record to 19-23-4 on the season, and kept them six points back from the Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees in the Southeast Division standings. The IceRays and Killer Bees will now close out the week on Saturday night in Hidalgo for their second meeting of the week. For more information, please call the IceRays at 361.814.PUCK or online at www.ccrayz.com.
The IceRays struck first when Ryan Crane scored on a wrist shot from the high slot on a power play at 4:05 of the first period. Then at 14:23 Justin Quenneville scored a highlight reel goal to make the score 2-0. Quenneville picked up the puck from his own blue line and darted into the Bucks zone, turned around defenseman Adam Rivet and slid a puck underneath Andrew Martin. The Bucks climbed within a goal when Serge Dube scored on a shot from the blue line that beat a screened Kris Tebbs at 17:54 to get the Bucks on the board. The IceRays were outshot 8-7 in the opening period, but took a 2-1 lead into the intermission.
Neither team found the back of the net in the middle period and the Bucks outshot the IceRays 12-6 in the stanza.
The goalies stood their ground in the third as well and the IceRays held on for the victory.
Kris Tebbs (15-14-3) earned the win making 29 saves on 30 shots. Andrew Martin (9-15) took the loss making 21 saves on 23 shots. The IceRays power play went 1-4 while the Bucks went 0-4 on the man advantage. The IceRays were outshot by the Bucks 30-23.
The IceRays will finish the week with a Saturday night visit to the Dodge Arena to take on the Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees at 7:35pm. For more information on the IceRays, please call the team at 361.814.PUCK or online at www.ccrayz.com.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from February 6, 2009
- Sundogs and Gistedt Win Third-Straight - Arizona Sundogs
- Rage Roll Past Thunder, 8-2 - Wichita Thunder
- Lupul, Carroll Lift 'Bugs to OT Win - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Big saves and big goals lead to big win over Colorado - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Riverkings Power Play Beats Odessa, 4-1 - Odessa Jackalopes
- IceRays edge Bucks, 2-1 - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Bucks Road Demons Haunt Them In 2-1 Loss - Laredo Bucks
- Rage Defeat Thunder - Wichita Thunder
- Jaeger Stops 41 of 42 in Brahmas Win - Colorado Eagles
- Listen Live - Tulsa Oilers at Rio Grande Valley - Tulsa Oilers
- RiverKings Meet Odessa Tonight - Mississippi RiverKings
- Rapid City Rush Announce Plans For Pink At The Rink - Rapid City Rush
- New Method Performs on Faith and Family Night - Mississippi RiverKings
- Bucks In Corpus Tonight - Laredo Bucks
- Shots from the Point - CHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Corpus Christi IceRays Stories
- Don'T Forget About Justin Quenneville's Retirement Party Tonight
- IceRays Host Street Hockey Challenge
- IceRays Season Ends With 2-0 Loss At Texas
- IceRays Fall 5-4 In Overtime To Brahmas, Trail Series 1-0
- IceRays Beat Killer Bees 6-3 In Regular Season Finale