IceRays Cut Magic Number to Five with 4-1 Win at Shreveport
SHREVEPORT, La. - The Corpus Christi IceRays earned a weekend (1-1-0-0) and season (6-6-0-0) split with the Shreveport Mudbugs following a 4-1 win Saturday night inside George's Pond at Hirsch Memorial Coliseum. Kyle Moore scored twice for Corpus Christi (26-26-2-1, 55 pts.), Anthony Yurkins registered three points (1+2) and goaltender Brian George stopped 28 of 29 shots faced, having a sensational shutout bid denied with just 1:13 remaining.
With the win, the IceRays decreased their magic number to earn a playoff berth to five with five games remaining. The magic number represents points earned by Corpus Christi as well as points not earned by the fifth-place team, Topeka.
Following a scoreless first period, Moore lit the lamp at 11:54 of the second period. Anthony Yurkins forced a turnover in neutral ice, and Moore skated down and slid a backhand shot past Shreveport netminder Maiszon Balboa.
The game remained 1-0 until Moore scored again with 2:17 remaining in the third period. Yurkins scored an empty-net goal with 1:53 left to increase the lead to 3-0 before Shreveport's Mark Capkovic ended George's shutout bid at the 18:47 mark.
On a major power play to end the game, Austin Koss completed a two-point night (1+1) with a goal from the top of the left circle.
The two teams finished even in shots on goal, 29-29. The win was George's eighth of the season.
Next up for the IceRays is a three-in-three weekend at the South Division regular season champions, the Amarillo Bulls. Puck drop on Friday, March 29 and Saturday, March 30 is at 7:05 PM, and Sunday, March 31 is at 4:05 PM. IceRays games are carried live on Sportsradio Corpus Christi (1230 AM - 95.1 FM - 96.1 FM), HockeyTV and Mixlr with the pre-game show starting 15 minutes prior to faceoff.
Following the Amarillo trip, the IceRays close out the regular season at home April 5-6 against the Topeka Pilots on "Pack the House for Charity" Fan Appreciation Weekend benefiting Ronald McDonald House Charities of Corpus Christi, presented by AFGE, Advantage Storage, 1st Class Towing, H-E-B, Tukasa Creations and Ruben's Fleet Service. All tickets (best available) for Fan Appreciation Weekend are just $5 courtesy of Corpus Christi Downtown Management District. Stay connected with the IceRays on Facebook (/CorpusChristiIceRays), Twitter (@goicerays) and Instagram (CorpusChristiIceRays). Single game tickets, group tickets and suites for the remainder of the 2018-19 IceRays season are on sale now. Visit goicerays.com or call 361-814-PUCK (7825) for tickets or more information.
• Discuss this story on the North American Hockey League message board...
North American Hockey League Stories from March 23, 2019
- Mudbugs Fall to the Rays - Shreveport Mudbugs
- IceRays Cut Magic Number to Five with 4-1 Win at Shreveport - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Pilots Continue Push for Playoff Berth, Knock off Jackalopes 6-2 - Topeka Pilots
- Comeback Misses the Mark, Bruins Doubled up by Bobcats 4-2 - Austin Bruins
- Wings Win Friday 5-2 - Aberdeen Wings
- Bulls Edge Brahmas 2-1 - Amarillo Bulls
- Bugs Double up Rays - Shreveport Mudbugs
- Jacks Comeback to Defeat Topeka 3-2 - Odessa Jackalopes
- Pilots Relinquish Late Goal, Fall 3-2 to Jackalopes - Topeka Pilots
- IceRays Fall Friday at Shreveport - Corpus Christi IceRays
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Corpus Christi IceRays Stories
- Bulls Beat IceRays to Force Winner-Take-All Game 5
- Bulls Win Game 3 in Overtime; Game 4 Set for Friday
- IceRays Win in Overtime to Grab 2-0 Series Lead
- IceRays Storm Back to Win Game 1 at Amarillo
- IceRays Announce Playoff Schedule, Ticket Details and Watch Parties