Bugs Double up Rays
The Shreveport Mudbugs (26-20-9) got a big game from Warren Natyshak to lead the way to a big 4-2 win over the Corpus Christi Ice Rays Friday night clinching their third straight playoff berth at Georges Pond in HIrsch Coliseum.
The Bugs opened up the scoring just 1:09 into the game when Gueorgui Feduolov raced up the ice and threw a perfect to Warren Natyshak who drilled home his ninth goal of the year. Shreveport's early 1-0 lead was erased when Nick Godfrey scored at 7:05 followed by Kyle Moore's tally at 13:35 making it a 2-1 Ice Rays lead. Corpus Christi led in SOG, 13-9 after one period of play.
Shreveport came out of the gates strong to begin the second period and tied the game at 4:36 when Natyshak rammed home the rebound in front for his 2nd tally of the game evening the score, 2-2. Feduolov and Jay Feiwell earn the assists on the goal. The Bugs wouldn't stop there as Tim Khokhlachev stole the puck in the offensive zone and fired home his fifth goal of the year from the right wing giving the Bugs the lead back at 3-2. Shreveport had a goal disallowed later in the period when the refs ruled there was a kicking motion on the goal. SOG, tied 25-25 after two periods of play.
The Bugs held onto that 3-2 lead for the most of the third period fending off a furious attack from the Ice Rays. Shreveport got the insurance tally when Ethan Harrison slid across a perfect pass to Billy Feczko to bang in for his fourth goal of the year extending the Bugs' lead to 4-2 at 17:44 of the 3rd period.
Leo Chuard made 33 saves to pick up his sixteenth win of the season in net.
The Mudbugs and Ice Rays will conclude their two-game series tomorrow night at Georges Pond in Hirsch Coliseum. Puck drop is slated for 7:11 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the North American Hockey League message board...
North American Hockey League Stories from March 23, 2019
- Mudbugs Fall to the Rays - Shreveport Mudbugs
- IceRays Cut Magic Number to Five with 4-1 Win at Shreveport - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Pilots Continue Push for Playoff Berth, Knock off Jackalopes 6-2 - Topeka Pilots
- Comeback Misses the Mark, Bruins Doubled up by Bobcats 4-2 - Austin Bruins
- Wings Win Friday 5-2 - Aberdeen Wings
- Bulls Edge Brahmas 2-1 - Amarillo Bulls
- Bugs Double up Rays - Shreveport Mudbugs
- Jacks Comeback to Defeat Topeka 3-2 - Odessa Jackalopes
- Pilots Relinquish Late Goal, Fall 3-2 to Jackalopes - Topeka Pilots
- IceRays Fall Friday at Shreveport - Corpus Christi IceRays
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Shreveport Mudbugs Stories
- Mudbugs Take Down the Brahmas
- Brahmas Swarm Bugs in Game 1
- Bugs Lose Late to Brahmas in Regular Season Finale
- Mudbugs Drop Heartbreaker to Brahmas
- Mudbugs One up Jacks in Shootout