Ice Flyers Playoff And All-SPHL Second Team Awards
The Ice Flyers clinched the #5 seed in the SPHL Post-Season and will face the #2 seeded Huntsville Havoc in a best of three playoff series beginning next week. The squad will travel to Huntsville on Wednesday, March 31st for the first game in Huntsville (7:30pm) and then return home for their first home playoff game on Friday, April 2nd (7:05pm). The third and final game, if necessary, will take place back in Huntsville on Sunday, March 4th, at 5pm.
To kick off the Ice Flyers' quest to bring the SPHL President's Cup to Pensacola, the team will host a Playoff Pep Rally at Tequila Mexico in Pensacola on Thursday night from 5-7pm. There will be food, fun, and festivities and all Ice Flyers' fans and supporters are encouraged to come and cheer on our hometown team before they take to the ice the next night.
Playoff tickets are still available and start at just $10 for individuals, and as low as $8 for groups of ten or more. To take advantage of group pricing, call the Ice Flyers at (850) 466-3111 or visit the Pensacola Ice Flyers' website at www.pensacolaiceflyers.com. Individual tickets can be purchased online via ticketmaster.com, or in person at the Civic Center Box Office, located at 201 East Gregory Street in Pensacola.
Ice Flyers' #9 Lorne Misita named to the All-SPHL Second Team
The Pensacola Ice Flyers are proud to announce that Assistant Captain, #9 Lorne Misita, was named to the All-SPHL Second Team.
Lorne Misita of the Pensacola Ice Flyers leads the SPHL with six shorthand goals, just one shy of the league record of seven set in 2007-08. Misita currently ranks fourth (tied) with five game-winning goals and his 64 points is tied for seventh-best in the league.
Lorne joins the following SPHL players on the Second Team:
F - Matt Zultek, Mississippi Surge (50 gp, 45 g, 21 a, 66 pts, 30 ppg, 6 gwg, 290 shots)
F - Michael Richard, Missisisppi Surge (49 gp, 24 g, 50 a, 74 pts, +19, 24 ppa, 7 gwg)
F - Lorne Misita, Pensacola Ice Flyers (56 gp, 29 g, 35 a, 64 pts, 6 shg, 5 gwg)
D - Kevin Harris, Knoxville Ice Bears (45 gp, 9 g, 27 a, 36 pts, 5 ppg)
D - Jeff White, Huntsville Havoc (54 gp, 12 g, 22 a, 34 pts, 6 ppg)
G - Ian Vigier, Columbus Cottonmouths (35 gp, 15-14-5, 2.94 gaa,.921 save%)
Ice Flyers' Coach Todd Gordon said of Misita's honor, "he has been a consistent scorer and great leader on and off the ice for us all year and this is a great award for him." Misita added, "this award is an honor and could have gone to a number of players, but it speaks volumes to the team and the support of all the guys on the ice. It is an added bonus to a season that has already been a highlight for me and I am looking forward to great things to come in the post-season."
• Discuss this story on the Southern Professional Hockey League message board...
Southern Professional Hockey League Stories from March 26, 2010
- Surge fall to Ice Gators - Mississippi Surge
- Louisiana Winning Streak Gets to Five - Louisiana IceGators
- Swider Sets League Marks With Seven-Assist Night - SPHL
- Weidlich, Zaniboni, Richard, Zultek Named All-SPHL - Mississippi Surge
- Ice Flyers Playoff And All-SPHL Second Team Awards - Pensacola Ice Flyers
- All-SPHL Second Team Announced - SPHL
- First Round Of Havoc Playoffs Set - Huntsville Havoc
- All-SPHL First Team Announced - SPHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Pensacola Ice Flyers Stories
- Ice Flyers Have First Home Loss, But Good Weekend
- Perry Shines in Goal in Ice Flyers 2-0 Victory
- Bucci Delivers Ice Flyers Latest Wowing Win in Final Seconds
- Blake Young Named Warrior Player of the Week
- Ice Flyers' Goalie Perry Named SPHL Warrior Player of the Week