Surge fall to Ice Gators
BILOXI, MS - The Mississippi Surge fell to the Louisiana Ice Gators by the score of 4-3 at the Mississippi Coast Coliseum on Friday evening.
Louisiana jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the first period, with Eric Kent tapping home the rebound of Matt Ruberto's shot at 8:29 and Nick Pernula's shot deflecting off the stick of Mississippi goaltender Ryan Senft into the net at 15:09. The Surge drew within one in the final minute of the first frame when Stephen Schofield took a long shot from the left wing that was stopped by Louisiana goalie Adam Dekker, but Tom Boudreau was uncovered in front of the net and drove home the rebound at 19:13.
Jeff Grant drew the Surge even when he stuffed the puck under Dekker from the right side of the net at 6:27 of the second period. Matt Zultek gave Mississippi a 3-2 lead with his 31st power-play goal of the season, tapping in the rebound of a shot from Tim Velemirovich at 9:54.
Louisiana tied the game at three at 2:23 of the third period when Ryan Senft misplayed the puck directly to the Ice Gators' Trevor Karasiewicz, who fired into the vacated net to tie the game. The Gators regained the lead when Paul McBrien scored on a breakaway gained when he exited the penalty box at 10:43 of the third.
Ryan Senft made 21 saves and the Surge were 1-for-8 on the power play.
The Surge are back home tomorrow against the Louisiana Ice Gators! All tickets for the game are just $5, and can be purchased by calling (228) 287-PUCK. Fans are encouraged to bring non-perishable food items to the games to benefit The Back Bay Mission of Biloxi. Every fan who brings a non-perishable food item will be entered to win a team autographed Surge jersey!
• Discuss this story on the Southern Professional Hockey League message board...
Southern Professional Hockey League Stories from March 26, 2010
- Surge fall to Ice Gators - Mississippi Surge
- Louisiana Winning Streak Gets to Five - Louisiana IceGators
- Swider Sets League Marks With Seven-Assist Night - SPHL
- Weidlich, Zaniboni, Richard, Zultek Named All-SPHL - Mississippi Surge
- Ice Flyers Playoff And All-SPHL Second Team Awards - Pensacola Ice Flyers
- All-SPHL Second Team Announced - SPHL
- First Round Of Havoc Playoffs Set - Huntsville Havoc
- All-SPHL First Team Announced - SPHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.