Ice Bears Grab Series Lead
Knoxville, TN Stanislav Dzakhov scored the game-winning goal at 3:10 of the third period, Hayden Stewart made 32 saves and the Knoxville Ice Bears beat the Macon Mayhem 3-1 to take game one of their opening round President's Cup playoff series.
Knoxville took advantage of a 5-on-3 to strike first when Lucas Bombardier's shot from the high slot was blocked before Stefan Brucato cleaned up the rebound to give the Ice Bears a 1-0 lead at 18:03 of the first.
Dzakhov put the Ice Bears ahead for good when a loose puck in front of Macon's crease wasn't cleared and he put it between the pads of Kevin Entmaa to give Knoxville a 2-0 edge.
Macon got one back on the power play at 7:23 with a redirect goal from Derrick Sutliffe, but Scott Cuthrell tallied an empty netter to erase any hopes of a Mayhem comeback.
Brucato finished with a goal and two assists. Bombardier also had a pair of assists.
The series continues with game two in Macon Saturday night at 7:30. Join Ice Bears fans at Stefano's at Turkey Creek for the official road game viewing party. If Macon wins then game three would be Sunday night at 7 in Knoxville.
• Discuss this story on the Southern Professional Hockey League message board...
Southern Professional Hockey League Stories from April 13, 2019
- Mayhem Season Ends in Heartbreaking Loss to Ice Bears - Macon Mayhem
- Bulls Win Game 2 at Home - Birmingham Bulls
- Preview: Mayhem vs. Knoxville Ice Bears (Challenge Round, Game 2) - Macon Mayhem
- No Bull: Pawloski Serves Birmingham First Shutout of the Season - Fayetteville Marksmen
- Ice Bears Grab Series Lead - Knoxville Ice Bears
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.