Hurricanes Take First Of Two Game Set Over Wheat Kings
BRANDON M.B. - The Lethbridge Hurricanes powerplay proved to be the difference Friday night as they edge the Brandon Wheat Kings by a score of 4-3.
The Hurricanes opened the scoring on the powerplay with Tyson Laventure firing a wrist shot on the sharp angle to beat Carson Bjarnason to make it 1-0 Hurricanes only 3 minutes into the game. The Wheat Kings would find a way to tie it up with Mason Ward scoring on the powerplay tying the game up at one ten minutes later. The Wheat Kings would go back on the powerplay only seconds later with Nate Danielson scoring his team leading 12th of the year playing the puck off the back of Hurricanes goaltender Harrison Meneghin and in to give the Wheat Kings a 2-1 lead heading into the second period.
The second period the Lethbridge Hurricanes would score three goals. First it was Jett Jones scoring when Carson Bjarnason was unable to freeze the puck in the crease allowing the Hurricanes to score their 2nd powerplay goal of the game tying the game up at two. Then, only two minutes later Tyson Zimmer would find Logan McCutcheon who placed a right side circle wrist shot through the wickets of Bjarnason to restore the lead for the Lethbridge Hurricanes. Late in the second the Hurricanes would go back on the powerplay with Tyson Laventure scoring his 2nd goal of the night to give the Hurricanes a 4-2 lead heading into the third.
The Wheat Kings pushed back in the 3rd period but could only get one goal from Calder Anderson to cut the lead with 1:58 remaining. In the end the Hurricanes would escape with a 4-3 win. Final shots, Wheat Kings 40, Hurricanes 37.
Tyson Laventure (2G-1A)
Logan McCutcheon (1G-2A)
Mason Ward (1G)
The Wheat Kings have a rematch with the Hurricanes Saturday night in Brandon. Puck drop at 7:00pm from Westoba Place. Catch voice of the Wheat Kings Chase Johnston with the Drummonds Farm Services pregame show beginning at 6:30pm on Q Country 91.5.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from November 25, 2022
- ICE Double-Up on Saskatoon - Winnipeg Ice
- Three Shorthanded Goals, Davies' Hat Trick Leads Broncos Over Oil Kings - Swift Current Broncos
- Hitmen Fall To Raiders 5-2 - Calgary Hitmen
- Oil Kings Fall Short in Swift Current - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Hurricanes Take First Of Two Game Set Over Wheat Kings - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Wheat Kings Launch Progressive 50/50 with Local Minor Hockey Teams - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Royals Unveil 'Fan First Menu' for All 2022-2023 Home Games - Victoria Royals
- Royals Welcome Bedard and the Pats for Saturday Night Showdown - Victoria Royals
- Game Day Preview November 25 at Red Deer - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Pats Begin B.C. Swing against Giants - Regina Pats
- GAME Preview: Wheat Kings Host Hurricanes in Double Header - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Game #24 - ICE at Saskatoon - Winnipeg Ice
- Game Day Hub: November 25 at Seattle - Portland Winterhawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.