Houston Dynamo Fall to Vancouver Whitecaps, Split Season Series
VANCOUVER - The Houston Dynamo split the season series with the Vancouver Whitecaps after falling 2-1 at BC Place this evening.
Houston would get on the scoreboard in the 78th minute after Maynor Figueroa forced a save with a shot from distance. The Honduran defender's shot was initially handled by the Vancouver goalkeeper, but Zac MacMath could not control the rebound and Mauro Manotas capitalized on the loose ball to level the score.
Vancouver took the lead in the 54th minute after video review confirmed a handball in the penalty area. The spot kick was awarded after Yordy Reyna's free kick hit the wall and handled by Manotas. Hwang In-Beom converted the penalty kick for his third goal of the year.
The final goal of the game came in the 90th minute as Theor Bair found Fredy Montero inside the box. The Colombian forward beat the Dynamo goalkeeper at the near post to secure three points for the Whitecaps.
Houston generated the first threat of the game after Manotas found Tommy McNamara outside the box in the fourth minute. McNamara controlled his momentum to create space for a shot the just missed the inside of the far post.
Vancouver responded instantly as Michaell Chirinos forced a save with a shot from a tight angle in the fifth minute. The Whitecaps' pressure continued as Ali Adnan forced a save in the 17th minute after he dribbled past a Dynamo defender to the outside of the six yard box. The defender's shot was handled by Joe Willis at the near post.
McNamara would knock on the door again in the 32nd minute with a shot inside the penalty area that was saved by MacMath.
Vancouver almost doubled their lead in the 75th minute off a cross from Adnan to the far post. The pass was intended for Reyna who could not make contact with the ball.
Houston returns to BBVA Stadium at 7:30 on Saturday, Sept. 21 to host Nani and Orlando City SC for Soccer Kicks Cancer Night.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 15, 2019
- Lodeiro Brace Propels Sounders FC to 4-2 Win over New York Red Bulls - Seattle Sounders FC
- Real Salt Lake Downed 3-1 at Minnesota United FC - Real Salt Lake
- MNUFC Take Crucial Three Points from Rsl - Minnesota United FC
- Toronto FC (3) - Colorado Rapids (2) Post Game Summary - Toronto FC
- Timbers Fall 1-0 to D.C. United at Providence Park - Portland Timbers
- Postgame Note: Toronto FC 3, Colorado Rapids 2 - Colorado Rapids
- D.C. United Defeat Portland 1-0 at Providence Park - D.C. United
- Houston Dynamo Fall to Vancouver Whitecaps, Split Season Series - Houston Dynamo
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Houston Dynamo Stories
- Dynamo Draw 1-1 with Columbus Crew SC
- Three Points: Houston Dynamo Return to Bbva Stadium to Host Columbus Crew SC
- Dynamo & 76 to Host Drive-In Watch Party for FC Dallas Match at Space City Shows
- Dynamo Rally Late for 2-2 Draw at Minnesota
- Three Points: Houston Dynamo Travel to Allianz Field to Face Minnesota United FC