Houston Dash forwards named to Canadian Women's National Team for two-game series vs. United States
NEED TO KNOW:
- Janine Beckie finished her second season as a professional with two goals and one assist
- Nichelle Prince finished her rookie season with three goals and one assist
- Houston announced in October that the club would exercise the options for both players for the 2018 NWSL season
HOUSTON (Thursday, Nov. 2, 2017) - Houston Dash FWs Janine Beckie and Nichelle Prince were named to the Canadian National Women's Team for a pair of friendlies against the U.S. Women's National Team later this month, the Canadian Soccer Association announced earlier today.
Canada will host the USWNT at 9 p.m. CST Nov. 9 at BC Place in Vancouver for the first leg of the two-game series. Beckie, Prince and the CanWNT will travel to San Jose to wrap-up the series at 8 p.m. CT on Nov. 12 at Avaya Stadium in San Jose, Calif.
Beckie, 23, has scored 18 goals and tallied three assists in 34 appearances for Canada since making her debut as a 20-year-old in 2014. The forward scored two goals and recorded one assist last season for Houston.
Prince has scored six goals and registered three assists in 29 appearances for the senior national team. The 22-year-old finished with three goals and one assist in her rookie season for the Dash.
This is the first meeting between the programs since the 2016 CONCACAF Women's Olympic Qualifying Championship where the USWNT prevailed with a 2-0 victory. Canada went on to win the bronze medal at the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio, its second in program history.
ABOUT THE HOUSTON DASH
The Houston Dash are a National Women's Soccer League club that began play in April 2014 for the start of the league's second season. The Dash were the first expansion club in the NWSL, joining the eight original members that launched the league in 2013. The NWSL is supported by the Canadian Soccer Association and the United States Soccer Federation. It is the top-flight women's professional soccer league in North America, featuring many of the top players from the United States, Canada and Mexico, as well as talent from around the world. The 24-game regular season runs from April through September. The team trains at Houston Sports Park (HSP), the premier training facility in Southeast Texas, and plays at BBVA Compass Stadium in downtown Houston. For more information, visit www.HoustonDashSoccer.com or call (713) 276-GOAL.
• Discuss this story on the National Women's Soccer League message board...
National Women's Soccer League Stories from November 2, 2017
- FC Kansas City Sends Two Players to Canada for International Friendlies - FC Kansas City
- Houston Dash forwards named to Canadian Women's National Team for two-game series vs. United States - Houston Dash
- Thorns FC Announce 2017 Club Awards - Portland Thorns FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.