Houston Dash Fall to Chicago Red Stars Despite Late Push for Equalizer
HOUSTON - A second-half surge was not enough for the Houston Dash this evening as they fell 2-1 to the Chicago Red Stars at BBVA Compass Stadium.
A first-half brace from Sam Kerr was enough to give Chicago three points in Houston tonight. The 2018 NWSL Golden Boot winner struck with her first goal of the game in the eight minute after she got behind the Dash backline onto a ball from forward Michelle Vasconcelos. The Australian international dribbled into the box, past the Dash goalkeeper and finished at the far-right post.
Kerr doubled Chicago's lead five minutes later after she drilled a ball into the left corner of the goal off a pass from Vanessa DiBernardo. Dash defender Clare Polkinghorne stumbled into her Australian teammate in an attempt to stop Kerr's run but couldn't capitalize on the tackle.
Dash forward Sofia Huerta extended Houston's goal-scoring streak at home to 13 games in the 26th minute when she picked up a loose ball brought down by forward Kayla McCoy, and finished into the far-left post. The goal was Huerta's second of the season and sixth with the Dash since joining the club midway through the 2018 season in a trade with the Red Stars.
Houston continued to press with a second attempt at the 28th minute when McCoy brought down a ball and darted around a Chicago defender, but she eventually collided with Red Stars goalkeeper Emily Boyd.
McCoy tested her luck for the second time three minutes later when Huerta crossed a ball into the box and she slipped through the Chicago backline, missing the ball by a microscopic margin. McCoy made her NWSL debut this evening and will depart next week to join Jamaica for their first appearance at the FIFA Women's World Cup.
The Dash will travel to Tacoma, Wash. at the end of the month to face Reign FC at 3 p.m. CT on Sunday, June 2 at Cheney Stadium. The match will be streamed live on Yahoo!Sports.
• Discuss this story on the National Women's Soccer League message board...
National Women's Soccer League Stories from May 19, 2019
- Utah Royals FC Draws with Defending NWSL Champions - Utah Royals FC
- Houston Dash Fall to Chicago Red Stars Despite Late Push for Equalizer - Houston Dash
- Early Goals Carry Chicago to Victory over Houston - Chicago Red Stars
- NC Courage Fight Back for 1-1 Draw with Utah Royals FC - North Carolina Courage
- Three Points: First-Place Dash Host the Chicago Red Stars this Evening - Houston Dash
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Houston Dash Stories
- Rachel Daly Named to England Women's National Team for 2020 SheBelieves Cup
- Houston Dash Acquire FW Shea Groom, DF Megan Oyster and 2022 NWSL Draft Pick from Reign FC
- Dynamo & Dash Will Hold It Down for H-Town
- Houston Dash Acquire GK Amanda Dennis
- Houston Dash Goalkeeper Bianca Henninger Announces Retirement