HFX Wanderers FC Announce Signing of Canadian Defender Duran Lee
Halifax, N.S. - HFX Wanderers FC have strengthened the team's defensive unit with the signing of centre-back Duran Lee. The 24-year-old Toronto born player joins Halifax from League1 Ontario team Vaughan.
A 6 ft. 2 in. left sided centre-back, Lee was a part of the youth academy of Toronto FC, before moving on to play for Sigma FC for three seasons.
The Wanderers are his first professional team.
"It's a fantastic feeling, you work hard for this every day and it's finally come to fruition," Lee said. "I want to be a part of the tradition and history of this club."
Coach Stephen Hart has brought in Lee following the return to school of University draft pick Peter Schaale.
The Wanderers boss got to see for himself the potential of Lee during the club's Canadian Championship matches against Vaughan.
"Most of all, he was very consistent and I thought he dealt really well with containing Akeem Garcia," Hart explained. "He was very aggressive in his defending. He reads the game well and he knows the position."
Lee, who has also played for the University of Connecticut and college teams in Texas and Kansas, said he's excited to join the Wanderers having been blown away by the atmosphere when he visited with Vaughan.
"From start to finish the fans in Halifax were amazing. All the players thought it was a true soccer stadium and at half time I did a couple of keep ups with one of the ball girls," Lee said.
The centre-back will arrive in Halifax on Thursday to complete a medical for his new team.
• Discuss this story on the Canadian Premier League message board...
Canadian Premier League Stories from August 13, 2019
- VW Premier Performer: Ongaro Tops the Crop with Week 15 Brace - CPL
- 'It's Like Rocky IV': Cavalry Ready for 'Stay in the Fight' against Impact - Cavalry FC
- Report: Impact's Piatti out for CanChamp 2nd Leg in Calgary - Cavalry FC
- HFX Wanderers FC Announce Signing of Canadian Defender Duran Lee - HFX Wanderers FC
- Cavs' U SPORTS Pick Gabriel Bitar Returns to Carleton - Cavalry FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent HFX Wanderers FC Stories
- 'Very Tough Place to Play': HFX, Eddies Leave Wanderers Grounds Wanting for More
- 3 Improvements HFX Must Make to Compete for Fall Title
- Wanderers Take Advantage of Layoff Ahead of Visit to Valour
- HFX Wanderers Reschedule Postponed Forge FC Match for Sept 18
- HFX Wanderers FC Announce Signing of Canadian Defender Duran Lee